Buying a homestead although challenging, provides security for survival and an extra layer of preparedness.
A homestead is defined as a house and the surrounding land owned, often including a farmhouse.
You usually find self-sufficient homesteads in rural areas where crops, livestock and food sources supplemented through hunting are accessible. This land is often passed down generation after generation.
Homesteads typically have a way to supply their own eggs, meat, dairy products and grain right from their own land. Plus, they may supply their own electric and water.
3 Reasons to Buy a Homestead
1. Unlimited Resources
The food and dairy are fresh. The animals are raised properly. You are saving tons of money by having your own supermarket right in your own yard.
Speaking of eggs, a lot of people think chickens. However, you may want to consider raising quail. Quails are a great addition to your homestead because they offer meat and eggs.
If you do live in the city or have a smaller space, that doesn’t mean that you can’t have your own ‘homestead’. However, if you want to be “off the grid” and on your own, then having your own rural farmland is the way to go.
You want to look for a nice parcel of land away from civilization, but close enough to reach help in an emergency.
2. Financial Survival
Another benefit of having your own homestead is the financial perk-saving on taxes.
Plus, you can set up solar power and your own way of generating water to avoid paying the electric company and other utilities.
The first thing to look into before buying is if your state actually allows it. Some states actually prohibit homestead purchases because you are not using the state’s utilities or paying the typical taxes.
It’s good to start by checking state laws.
The other big benefit to buying a homestead is the low crime rate. Smaller population means less chance for crime. Plus, you can set up simple alarm systems to alert you to people approaching your homestead.
If you are considering this way of life, take some time to learn how to become self reliant to make the change less of a shock.
3. Peace and Privacy
Another great benefit is the peace you’ll find “off the grid.” How many times have we thought that it would be nice to get away or take a break from the rest of the world? Here’s your chance.
The greatest benefit is that you and your loved ones work together to sustain your family. This builds a stronger family unit, and the skills of true survival.
You gain an incredible sense of accomplishment and memories you will never forget as you spend time building your future survival base together.
Whether in a survival situation or a permanent situation, it seems that it is easy to find benefits to buying a homestead. What about you? Comment below and let us know your thoughts on buying a homestead. If you have a homestead, share your advantages…
I got out of the Big City 4.5 Years ago. Sold my overpriced house in the city with high taxes, and bought a few vacant acres out in the boonies, and moved onto the property and started camping, and clearing the land to see what I had. I also moved a few Shed cabin on the property and set up 1200 Watts of solar panels and batteries etc. I did get my building permit, and converting these sheds into a homestead house. I have not had a single utility bill in 4.5 years. I buy water until I can get my full rain capture set up in place. Trash 15%, I burn, and haul off the other 85% to recycling dumpsters. You cannot do this in the city. You cannot see my buildings from any road. Go deep into the woods, and be secure from prying eyes. Only Google sky view maps can you see some of my buildings. What is seen I have moved under trees and my property still looks mostly vacant on the overhead sky maps. Instead of going hunting, I stay on my property and attract critters by throwing out corn in the morning and at night. I have more big game here than I could ever eat. I have 4 deer residents on my property. 2 Does and a set of twin fawns this summer. Turkeys, squirrels, raccoons, fishing also since I live on the water with about 1100 ft of fresh waterway shoreline. My security is in layers, with motion detectors at my locked gate with 6 ft tall barbed wire fencing. And my neighbors up the road has dogs so anybody coming down this dead end road will give me a minutes notice of someone approaching. I would tell you more, but keeping with my OPSEC, I could tell ya,, but then I would have to ki…. ya. just kidding. And even after 4.5 years it is still a work in progress. If you are wanting to do the same thing, get busy now and stop wasting time. Its takes a few years to ramp up to a sustained lifestyle like this. Out of the city and into the country, there are way less rules and zoning restrictions and less prying eyes, and my property taxes are like $230 a year, for a few wooded acres with great water frontage. Also a great way to retire.