We do know that value is subjective when it comes to buying guns on a budget, but this buying info might just help you out!
In this article:
- Top Five Handguns Under $200
- Top Five High-Value Guns on a Budget
- Some Other Great Choices
Guns on a Budget Buying Guide
Top Five Handguns Under $200
First off, not everyone can afford to be picky when buying guns at some point in their lives when they’re hard up, although safety is a top priority. Yet amazingly, almost everyone wants to get the most bang for their buck.
This is why we came up with this buying info of the best quality guns while on a super tight budget. This list is for new gun owners or those who limit their budget to $200.
Now, these aren’t second-hand guns but brand new and never been used. You might not agree with these entries, but you might consider our points.
We can also assure you these are handguns we or our friends have had a great experience with. That is while they’ve no budget to spare even for their own safety.
1. Taurus Millennium G2
If there is one budget gun I’d pick for myself within this price range, that is the Taurus Millennium G2. This is a compact, double stack, 9mm pistol that holds 13 rounds.
It’s one of the top quality budget guns even though Tauruses aren’t really known for their quality. If you maintain it properly and take it to practice once in a while, these good guns on a budget will get you through until you have the money to spare for better handguns.
Taurus Millenium G2 Specs
Model: Millennium G2, 111G2
Caliber: 9mm Luger
Capacity: 12+1 (.40 S&W model has 10+1)
Overall Length: 6.24”
Barrel Length: 3.2”
Sights: Fixed front, adjustable 2-dot rear
Grip: Textured, polymer
Weight: 22 oz.
Price: $200 – $225
What is a polymer? A synthetic material made from the joining of smaller molecules to form a large molecule. Plastic is an example of man-made polymers.
2. Ruger LCP The Original Model
This small baby is probably one of the guns budget buyers will pick in this price category. Since the new LCPs are out, this will pretty much sell around your budget anywhere.
It’s a small pocket pistol you can trust for home defense.
Ruger LCP Specifications
Caliber: .380 ACP
Action: double-action only
Weight: 9.4 oz.
Length: 5.16 inches
Barrel length: 2.75 inches
Width: 0.82 inch
Height: 3.6 inches
Magazine: 6 rounds (standard), 7 rounds (extended)
3. Taurus 709 Slim Pistol
This slim, no-frills handgun is like the Taurus version of the Walther PPS. It is a single stack and super easy to carry, which is great for home protection.
Taurus 709 Slim Pistol Specs
Model: 709 Slim
Caliber: 9mm Luger
Capacity: 7+1 (6+1 for the .40 S&W model)
Weight: 19 oz. unloaded
Overall Length: 6”
Barrel Length: 3” (3.2” for the .40 S&W model)
4. SCCY CPX-2
This small 9mm pistol isn’t one to get you all excited, but it works. It’s serviceable and great for beginners. It isn’t something you will keep for long, but it’s great for now with your budget.
SCCY CPX-2 Specs
Barrel Length: 3.1”
Overall Length: 5.7”
Weight: 15 oz.
Sights: Adjustable, 3-Dot Steel
Finish: Zytel Polymer, Black Nitride, Satin Stainless Steel
5. Hi-Point CF-380 Pistol
Some of you might not agree, but my experience with this one had been great.
I had this gun completely ignored for a while, and it was just sitting down at my office all dusty. Yet, every time I take it out from its box for practice, it shoots, it works!
It might not be the best-looking handgun, but it never fails. You can count on it for home self-defense and you can carry it just fine.
Hi-Point CF-380 Specs
Caliber: .380 ACP
Action: DAO Blowback
Overall Length: 6.75”
Barrel Length: 3.5”
Weight: 29 oz. loaded
Finish: Black powder coat with chrome rail
Grips: Textured Polymer
Sights: Fully-adjustable 3-dot
MSRP: $179.00 to $200
RELATED: How to Choose Guns and Ammo
Top Five High-Value Guns on a Budget
All the guns we are going to cover here are new firearms and under $500.
We want to give you the most for a high-value firearm you can get for $500 or less. In short, these are the best value guns which are very competitive in gun sales.
1. Mosin – Nagant
This is a high power rifle with very inexpensive ammo. It is close to the .30-06 power-wise and has a lot of mods available.
With it being such an inexpensive weapon, it may not be a bad idea to modify it and really make it your own.
- Convert Your Mosin Nagant into a Modern Hunting Rifle!
- Military Type III Anodized, Mosin Nagant receiver Scope Mount with side rail
- Allows Scope to be Mounted Over the Receiver
- Handle included
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
2. Savage – Axis
The rifle pictured here is in .223, but you can get them in pretty much every caliber under the sun. Great base price at $269.99, and it comes without the scope.
There is a downside to this firearm, though. It comes with a plastic stock and a low-quality trigger.
With some time, energy and some polish, you can definitely get a large improvement on trigger quality. You can also upgrade to the Savage AccuTrigger for a cleaner and safer trigger pull.
- Savage Edge/Axis/Axis 2 Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 20 MOA
3. Mossberg – Maverick 88
You can pick up one of these guns for about $160 to $180. A very simple no-frills yet solid shotgun.
- 100% Made in USA, Shotgun Ammo Sling with Gripping Ring and Ammo Loops
- Ammo Loops Hold 25 Shells (20 or 12-Gauge Shells)
- 2" Heavy-Duty Black Nylon, Featuring Unique Rubber Gripping Strips to Help Prevent Slippage
- Attaches to your 1" swivels (1" wide strap insertion through swivels)
- Webbing loops through the swivels on the stock
4. Taurus – Model 65
This is a clone of the Smith & Wesson Model 65, .357 Magnum. You can pick one up for about $200 to $300.
- Perfect fit for Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 PT132 PT138 PT140 PT145 PT745 G2c but no other models that are not millennium G2. ( Not for Pro)
- Quick Release Button: Level II Quick-draw holster with safety locking mechanism.
- Compatibility:Paddle holster fits Taurus Millennium G2 PT 111, PT 132, PT 138, PT 140, PT 145, PT 745 Models (No Pro）
- The combat-proven Holster is a step forward in holster design and technology.
- Produced with self lubricating Made in USA polymers. The combat-proven Holster by Tactical Scorpion Gear is a step forward in holster design and technology.
5. Taurus – 92B-17
This is another clone but of the Beretta 92FS. It runs somewhere about $350, but you can probably find a used Beretta 92F or FS in the same range.
Some Other Great Choices
Please keep in mind the prices of these guns vary by location and where you are buying it.
- Mossberg 535 ATS runs about $450
- Marlin 336 Lever Action .30-30 will run around $450
- Build your own AR-15 can run about $600 (depends on location)
- H&R Pardner Pump – $160 to $180
- IAC Hawk 982 – $275
- Hi-Point – $150, they do get a lot of crap but they are one of the best budget guns out there
- SIG Sauer – Pro 2022 – $429.99
- CZ’s starts about $300
- EAA – A good handgun, factory new for $395
- Tokarev – T33 great gun for $250 to $300
- Nagant revolver $200 to $275
- Rock Island – 38 special revolvers imported $150 to $200
Check out this step-by-step video guide from Compulsion84 and learn how to buy guns online (legally):
You can find some great deals on handguns and long-range guns on a budget, but the gun sales market is highly based on where you live and where you buy. This is why we want to show you the best deals on new guns that are highly effective and just all-around great values.
We hope we pointed you to a firearm which satisfies your purpose of buying it!
Did you find the gun you were looking for in this article? Tell us about it in the comments section below!
- Best Low-Cost Pistol Options For Your Budget
- Finally: 6 Long Range Hunting Rifles That Are Actually Affordable
- No Guns Allowed Signs | What A Responsible Gun Owner Can Do
Contact Steve Albrecht at [email protected] or on Twitter @DrSteveAlbrecht
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on March 12, 2015, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.