Coughing is your body’s way of getting rid of mucus and other foreign material from your lungs and upper respiratory passages. This is important to remember when you have a cough because there are times when you do not want to suppress your cough completely. However, you do want to make it easier on your body when your cough seems never ending. This is where DIY cough syrups and cough drops can come in handy.
DIY Cough Syrups and Cough Drops
Over the counter cough syrups and cough drops work great but, they do contain chemicals. They can also cause side effects such as drowsiness and/or rapid heart rate.
In this article, I will share with you recipes for all natural cough syrups and cough drops that are very effective. NO CHEMICALS!!
DIY Cough Syrups
Honey Cough Syrup – Recipe #1
- 1 ½ tablespoons of lemon zest
- ¼ cup of peeled, sliced ginger
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of honey
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine lemon zest, sliced ginger, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes, then strain through into a heat proof measuring cup.
- Rinse the saucepan out and pour in 1 cup of honey.
- On low heat, warm the honey but, do not allow it to boil.
- Add the strained lemon ginger water and the lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture until it combines to form a thick syrup.
- Pour into a clean jar with a lid.
This can be refrigerated for up to 2 months.
- For children ages 1 to 5: take ½ to 1 teaspoon every 2 hours
- Children ages 6 -12: take 1 to 2 teaspoons every 2 hours
- For children ages 12 and older AND adults: take 1 to 2 tablespoons every 4 hours
** Remember, honey is NOT recommended for children under the age of 1.
Honey Cough Syrup – Recipe #2
What You’ll Need
- A small mixing bowl
- A glass jar with lid
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ginger (fresh or ground)
- A mixing spoon
- 8 tablespoons of honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons of white pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons of thyme (fresh or ground)
- Combine 8 tablespoons of honey with 3 tablespoons of warm tap water.
- Add in 1 ½ teaspoons each of thyme, white pepper, and ginger.
- Whisk quickly for 2 minutes or until the texture is even and consistent.
- Finally, pour the mixture into a glass jar with a lid.
This cough syrup will last for several weeks in a cool, dry location in a well sealed container (glass jar).
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
The recommended amount for an adult and ages 12 and up is 3-5 teaspoons a day.
DIY Cough Drops
Lemon Ginger Clove Cough Drops
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup of evaporated cane juice OR granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon (or more) of ground ginger
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Powdered sugar OR cornstarch (for coating)
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Combine the ingredients (except for the powdered sugar or cornstarch) in a heavy bottomed pot or saucepan.
- Cook to hard crack stage, about 300 degrees fahrenheit. This may take 15-20 minutes or longer depending on the pan and stove. Test by dropping a little from a spoon into a bowl of ice water. If it cracks, it’s ready. If it’s chewy, cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Be careful not to let it burn – the temperature rises quickly at the end.
- Let the mixture cool slightly. Drop onto baking sheet into round shapes. Allow to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar or cornstarch.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from any moisture. (Moisture will cause them to stick together)
- Another option is they can be dusted and wrapped individually in small pieces of parchment paper.
And there you have it! Cough syrup and cough drops the all natural way!!
**Disclaimer: The above information is for informational purposes ONLY and is not meant to replace any medical advice or treatment you are receiving OR may receive from your physician. If you are pregnant or nursing, always consult your physician before starting any and all home remedies.
Want to read more on great home remedies for the cold and flu season? Check out these great articles from us here at Survival Life!
For awesome survival gear you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
Looking for products to assist with you DIY Cough Syrups and Cough Drops? Check out these products:
- An addition to your remedies might include Instant Lemon Ginger Honey Crystals