Wondering what supplies you should include on your bug out bag list? This tutorial narrows it down to just 12 items, so you’ll be prepared in any survival situation without being weighed down.
12 Essential Items for Your Bug Out Bag List
A well-prepared bug out bag is an absolute necessity for any great survivalist. But when it comes to your supply list, the possibilities are endless. So how do you narrow it down to just the essentials?
Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of 12 must-have items that are crucial to any bug out bag list. Don’t let the short list fool you – these items all serve many functions, so your bag stays lightweight while you stay prepared.
Check out the list below, and be sure to leave your own ideas in the comments!
An excellent tool for signaling for help or warding off danger. We recommend packing one with a built-in compass.
Not just for protecting your face! Pack a few of these in your bag for a quick bandage, makeshift carrying bag, or emergency signaling device (bright colors are best).
It may seem obvious, but a well-chosen survival knife is crucial in an emergency situation.
- TITANIUM COATED RAZOR SHARP STEEL - Like other Hoffman Richter knives, the Talon uses high-quality 440C Steel, for a perfect balance of edge retention and ease of sharpening; The ultra-tough titanium coating ensures that it will last a lifetime
- PIERCING 5.5" LONG FULL TANG TANTO BLADE - This rugged 3/16" thick blade is the ultimate combination of balance & power, with a tanto tip design that is perfect when penetration is key; Simply put, when you carry this knife, you will fear very little
- PARACORD LASHING SYSTEM & GROOVED GRIP FOR IMPROVED HANDLING - Secured with aircraft-grade torx bolts, the Talon's beveled handled is designed so you'll never need to worry about losing your grasp on this incredibly sharp blade, even in the most challenging conditions; Plus the openings in the blade allow you to thread paracord through to lash up a devastatingly effective spear
- TWO BONUS BELT SHEATH KNIFE HOLDERS INCLUDED - With the included specially-fitted, ambidextrous, durable hard sheath or the 1680D tough ballistic nylon sheath case (complete with belt loop!), your new knife is always ready at your side
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE - Rest easy because your fixed blade knife is protected by Hoffman Richter's Ironclad Lifetime Warranty; Their satisfaction and quality guarantee makes these tactical knives great gifts for family or friends, too
I’ve seen lighters that are stormproof and windproof, but no need to get fancy. We recommend packing one that is small and waterproof.
From fire tinder to first aid, tampons are surprisingly versatile. Check out this previous article for additional survival uses.
6. Duct Tape
A must-have for survivalists of all skill sets. Duct tape is great for almost everything: repairing shelter, wrapping injuries, adding insulation – you can even create a fishing spear by duct-taping your knife to a long pole. Check out this previous article for more ideas in duct tape innovation.
- Easily tape anything with our multi-purpose duct tape with strong rubber adhesive and thick 7.3mil design. Our thicker tape prevents crinkling and bunching after the tape is removed from the roll
- Our 3 large 3 roll value pack is perfect for large jobs or a long lastly supply for your tool box with our large 60 yard roll 3 pack (180 total yards)
- Quickly fix anything around the house with our duct tape with easy tear by hand design with waterproof adhesive that will stick to almost any surface including wood, concrete, plaster and more. Designed for both indoor and outdoor use
- Great for contractor and commercial jobs with our thick 7.3 mil duct tape with a strong commercial grade adhesive and standard 1.88'' width
- Quickly pack and move boxes with our duct tape. Unlike standard packaging tape, this tape easily tears off the roll and the rubber adhesive is stronger than even heavy duty packaging tape.
A good quality tarp makes an excellent emergency shelter. Not only is a tarp more lightweight than any other type of shelter, but it can also endure extreme weather conditions. (Pro tip: Opt for a tarp with grommet holes for even more versatility.)
- KEEP YOUR CAMP DRY: This washable, waterproof, and shrink-proof rain tarp is the perfect addition to any campsite as it is sure to keep you and your belongings dry whatever the weather!
- A DURABLE ACCESSORY: Resilient rip-stop polyethylene is laminated on both sides, and features rope reinforced edges for a secure attachment to whatever you need covered.
- RUST-RESISTANT METAL GROMMETS: A rusty rain tarp would be no help when rain starts to fall, which is why this piece is outfitted with rust-resistant metal grommets for a truly versatile piece.
- SPACIOUS AND USEFUL: Generously sized at 10 by 12 feet, this lightweight and packable tarp can become ground cover for your camping tent, thrown over the top for a waterproof shelter, or to cover a boat, keep firewood dry, or provide shade in a pinch
- COMPLETE YOUR CAMPSITE: Be sure to stock up before your next backpacking adventure; look to Stansport for all of your hunting, hiking, fishing, and outdoor needs!
Hammocks are lightweight and super durable – plus they’re also surprisingly comfortable. Check out these hammock reviews to choose one that’s best for you.
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
- Military Style Jungle Hammock OD Camping Easy Setup Elevated Shelter w/ Roof
9. Garbage Bag
Garbage bags are not only inexpensive, but they’re also incredibly durable. Pack a few in your bag for a makeshift fly screen, backup shelter, or bandage protection – and check out this list for even more ideas.
10. Zip Tie
Don’t be fooled by their small size – these zip ties pack a lot of punch. Use them to create makeshift hand restraints, trailmarkers, and weapons. And be sure to check out this previous article to learn how to escape a zip tie restraint.
- 【Strong and Durable】 Nylon Zip Ties field tested to support up to 60 pounds of weight with a patented Ratchet-Lock head and strong teeth for securing cables, wiring, automotive hoses and body parts.
- 【Premium Quality】 Made of industrial strength 6/6 nylon, HMfire cable ties can be very flexible with high temperature resistance.
- 【Self-locking Design】 With cable zip, cables can be tied tightly. Wire ties designed for indoor use with rounded edges for easy handling and to prevent snagging.
- 【Widely Used】 HMfire cable ties can be used for tying cables, plants, packages, etc. It's a great tool in home, office, garden and workshop.
- 【What You Get】 500 zip ties including: 4 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches (each size 100 pcs).To ensure you receive genuine LaiShuo products, only purchase from LaiShuo verified sellers: HMfire , Every product includes a 60 days money-back and 24-month worry-free Guarantee!
An absolute necessity for great preppers. Paracord is not only extremely versatile, but it can also withstand much more weight than rope.
The multitool is small and discreet, but it’s also extremely powerful. The Hoffman Richter HR100 mini-tool is the ideal tool for any survival situation – it’s like carrying an entire tool kit in your pocket.
EDITOR’S DEAL: SELF-SUFFICIENCY AND PREPAREDNESS FAMILY BUNDLE
Check out the video below to see how it’s done – and be sure to leave your own bug out bag survival tips in the comments!
Want more ideas for your bug out bag? Check out the posts below!