Know the production details of a Norinco SKS and increase its market value. Learn more about this Chinese SKS rifle in this article, and use this knowledge to your advantage!
Norinco SKS Production | Handy Info to Keep in Your Back Pocket
Know Your Norinco SKS
Norinco SKS has one of the most difficult-to-find manufacturing dates of all the SKS rifles. These guns distributed by Chinese factories are old.
What is an SKS rifle? It is a semi-automatic weapon that fires rounds that measure 7.62x39mm. A Russian weapons designer, Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov, invented it.
The Chinese SKS rifle began in Russian factories during the fifties and sixties. When trade agreements and political alliances developed, Russia started overseeing the production of these firearms throughout China.
Financing and managing these factories were the Russians' jobs until they left them to the Chinese. These days, doing a Norinco SKS serial number lookup is easy online.
The Chinese marked each rifle with a factory symbol stamp along with an SKS 4-digit serial number. The challenge is this: the countries that received these rifles from China didn't have most of the documents with the production details.
So far, two general types of Norinco SKS rifles have come from China. These included the Typ 56 SKS or the Chinese Military SKS. These were government-issued weapons.
The other was for civilian purchase. It was only available in a semi-automatic version with a dulled bayonet.
If you want to know the production information of a Chinese SKS rifle, the following may come in handy.
- Original SKS Butt Stock Cleaning Kit
- Functional, designed for the SKS rifle
- Works great in conjunction with cleaning rod
Production Date and Factory Location
The symbol is one of the first things to look at when you want to know the production date of a Norinco SKS rifle. It can identify the timeframe and factory location of the weapon's production.
An online diagram will help match the SKS markings and rifle worth. The symbol indicates which factory the rifle came from and an estimate of the production date.
For example, most of the Chinese SKS for sale may come from Factory 26. Many of these rifles have a variety of symbols that all lead back to the same factory.
Note, though, these symbols will only give you a rough estimate of the production decade. There were only about 24 million SKS rifles produced throughout China.
If the SKS matching serial numbers are in the first million, then those rifles would have between 1971 and 1978 as production years.
The origin of SKS rifles produced in other countries is easier to find. They tend to provide adequate documentation of their production facilities during trade agreements.
A quick online search for SKS rifles comes from countries other than Russia. You only need to type in the make, model, and serial number.
Stock Condition and Aftermarket SKS Accessories
Sourcing a rifle's production time includes researching the monetary value of that rifle. The Norinco SKS price can remain the same if the gun is in stock. Its parts should also be original and in good condition.
These include the wood, bayonet, and internal components. If all the serial numbers match the engravings on the lower assembly, shoulder stock, and barrel, then the value of that SKS should hold.
Firearms owners who customize their SKS rifles with composite furniture, aftermarket rails, optics, forward pistol grips, and upgraded trigger assemblies usually assume their rifle’s monetary value goes up.
But this is not always the case.
Watch this video by Alden Morris to know more about dating your Norinco Chinese SKS:
Many of these SKS rifles are no longer in large-scale production. It explains why they are quickly becoming collectible classics.
How to Identify Norinco SKS Production Date
Determining the production date of a Norinco SKS rifle involves careful examination and analysis. Here are some methods you can use to find the manufacturing year of your SKS rifle:
- Serial Number Analysis: The serial number provides crucial information that can help identify the production date. You can extract the manufacturing year by understanding the serial number pattern and decoding it.
- Date Code Markings: Norinco SKS rifles often feature date code markings that indicate the year of production. These markings can be found on various rifle parts, such as the receiver, bolt carrier, or trigger assembly.
- Factory Stampings: Examining factory stampings and markings can offer valuable clues about the production date. These stamps are typically found on the receiver and other components and may include specific codes or symbols indicating the year of manufacture.
- Features and Design Changes: Norinco SKS rifles underwent various design changes and modifications throughout their production history. By understanding these changes and their associated production periods, you can narrow down the manufacturing year of your rifle.
Common Mistakes in Dating Norinco SKS
While determining the production date of Norinco SKS rifles, it's important to be aware of common mistakes and misconceptions. Avoiding these errors will help ensure accurate dating. Here are some common mistakes to watch out for:
- Misidentifying SKS Production Year: Misidentifying the specific year of manufacture is a common error due to the various factors that can influence production dates. To establish an accurate production date, it's crucial to consider multiple indicators, such as serial numbers, date code markings, and design features.
- Relying Solely on Serial Numbers: While the serial number provides vital information, it's not the only factor to consider. Serial numbers can sometimes be ambiguous or inconsistent. Cross-referencing with other indicators, such as date code markings and design changes, helps ensure accuracy.
- Ignoring Manufacturing Records: Norinco SKS rifles were produced in large quantities, and it's possible to find manufacturing records or documentation for certain models or batches. Ignoring these records can lead to missed opportunities for accurate dating.
- Lack of Authentication: Without proper authentication, confirming the originality and production date of a Norinco SKS rifle is challenging. Consulting experts, reputable sources, or professional appraisers can provide additional insights and help authenticate your firearm.
If you own a Norinco SKS, maintaining it in its original condition will guarantee you can hold its real value in the market. To further increase its worth, ensure you know the provenance of your SKS rifles.
Do you have your own collection of the Norinco SKS? Let us know in the comments section below!
- KCI USA AK47 Korean Mags Explained
- Rifle Shooting Tips & Techniques | 11 Surprising Things New Rifle Shooters Need To Know
- Ultimate Backpacking Checklist for Beginners
- Taurus Judge Ammo Types: Top 9 Best Types of Ammo Used in Taurus Judge
- Pink Handgun | Top 9 Pink Handguns for You
Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on February 18, 2019, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.