Here’s a breakdown of the best self-defense weapons for survival and why you should consider adding them to your arsenal!
In this article:
- Ruger 10/22
- Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 Carbine
- Henry Arms AR-7
- Glock 36
- Glock 17
- Sig Sauer P226
- Taurus Judge
- Mossberg 590 Mariner
- Remington 870
- Benelli Nova Pump Tactical
Self-Defense Weapons to Keep You Safe When SHTF
Everyone has their own preference when it comes to a gun for protection, and different firearms are better suited for different situations. The gun you choose for self-defense will be different from the one you keep for perimeter protection.
Handguns are more convenient, can fit in a purse or waist holster, and are much easier to conceal. On the other hand, rifles might be the better choice for home protection, when shooting an attacker from a distance.
And even within these two categories, there are hundreds of different calibers, brands, and types of guns to choose from. Our friends at Outdoor Warrior have put together a list of 11 Types of Guns That Will Keep You Alive Come Doomsday.
1. AK-47[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BvwV5c0HbBF/ hidecaption=true width=625] One of the most popular and reliable military-grade firearms on the market. There are no identical weapons to the AK-47 and nothing comes close to it as an automatic weapon.
It’s built with incredible tolerances. It can take sand, mud, and water but never jams.
No products found.
2. Ruger 10/22[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BvwZDdvn72n/ hidecaption=true width=625] If you plan on hunting small and medium-sized game, you can’t go wrong with the Ruger 10/22. The fact that it has less recoil and can carry 25 rounds in one magazine, makes this Ruger an ideal gun for self-defense.
- Holds 10 round mags and ammo or other essentials
- Embroidered Ruger 10/22 logo
- Protective flap and zippered pocket
3. Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 Carbine
— Erza Xcarlet (@Xcarlet7) April 2, 2019
The Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 Carbine is small, light, and very durable. The M4 Carbine is made in the tradition of AR-15 rifles combined with modern features like the space-age Carbon 15 composite molded receivers.
- Iron-On or Sew to Any Garment
- Patch is 8.25-inches in diameter
- Top Quality 2nd Amendment Patch made with Detailed Embroidery
4. Henry Arms AR-7[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/4acN8TjLVV/ hidecaption=true width=625] This rifle may not pack the same punch as some of the others but what it lacks in power makes up for convenience. What’s cool about this rifle is you only get the stock from out of the box.
The stock holds the other parts of the gun inside. It has the receiver, barrel, and a couple of magazines.
5. Glock 36[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BCLhmheiueh/ hidecaption=true width=625] The slim and sleek Glock 36 is a perfect concealed carry weapon and personal defense gun. This gun has a bit more jump to it compared to the Glock 30 but the sight is so easy to get used to.
It’s a good shooting gun and a very reliable sidearm for your favorite rifle.
No products found.
6. Glock 17[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BvvF4O6HmDY/ hidecaption=true width=625] The Glock 17 is a popular handgun among law enforcement officers. It’s a little heavy but when handled correctly it shoots with great accuracy.
This gun has a double stack magazine that holds 17 rounds. The weight of this gun absorbs some of the recoils to help you stay on target.
7. Sig Sauer P226[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BjFIz-8nsIh/ hidecaption=true width=625] The Sig Sauer P226 is a compact, lightweight handgun, but it still has plenty of power. And at such an affordable price, you truly get some bang for your buck.
This gun has been adopted by the navy seals and used for almost 20 years. That alone tells us of the Sig P226’s reliability as a tactical and as personal defense tools.
8. Taurus Judge[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQBkJNn76p/ hidecaption=true width=625] If you prefer a revolver, the Taurus Judge is a solid choice. This gun is ideal for close-quarter combat and self-defense.
It’s a 5-shot revolver and has a light trigger pull. What’s special about this pistol is the fact that it’s chambered for .410 shotgun shells.
That’s a lot of power firing from a handgun.
- RUNTIME: 4 hours of battery life that runs on (2) 2032 batteries (included)
- EASE OF USE: Front activation button engages the laser immediately when the firearm is held in a normal firing grip - this model features a master...
- RELIABLE: Factory sighted at 50 feet, but is fully user adjustable for Windage and Elevation with provided tool
9. Mossberg 590 Mariner[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BcxsKSpAx38/ hidecaption=true width=625] The 590 Mariner is a 12-gauge shotgun capable of carrying 9 shots. At only $500 retail, this gun is a steal.
This Mossberg has a barrel length of 18.5 inches, comes with standard stock from the box, and powerful enough to knock back potential attackers.
10. Remington 870[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BsqRQyhjO35/ hidecaption=true width=625] Whether you need a weapon for hunting or for tactical operations, the Remington 870 is a solid choice. This is one of the most versatile guns in the business.
It’s good for tactical, range shooting, hunting, and even as a home defense shotgun.
- 100% All American Made Shotgun Sling
- 2" Black Nylon, Padded
- Webbing loops through your swivels on the stock
11. Benelli Nova Pump Tactical[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BPafOJFgSVg/ hidecaption=true width=625] The Benelli Nova Pump is a reliable and powerful weapon. This shotgun comes with a synthetic polymer stock system which means you can carry the gun in one piece.
It only carries 5 shells, but with a gun, it’s all you need!
What is a synthetic polymer? An attractive type of human-made material used in many consumer products due to its durability and affordable cost. Fabric, nylon, and textiles are some of the everyday items that can be made from synthetic polymer.
Check out this list of self-defense weapons from VAPrepper:
Choosing a survival weapon is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make and it shouldn’t be taken lightly. With all the options available to you, making that choice can be overwhelming.
You may not always be able to carry a gun so consider carrying a knife or a tactical pen for days when you have to leave your gun behind.
What can you say about these badass firearms for self-defense when SHTF? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own AK-47 Pistols
- Top 15 Tips for Self-Defense Shooting
- How To Travel Interstate With Your Firearm
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on September 26, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.