Whether you’ve been hunting all of your life or just starting out, there are several essentials that can make your hunting experience more enjoyable. Safety, of course is the most important concern of all and you should be prepared for whatever comes up when you are in the wild.
Check out our 15 must-have hunting gear every hunter should own and a reminder of one necessary item to never forget: Water. Most of these items are probably in your hunting gear supplies right now, but you might want to stock up on a few or upgrade items that are worth the investment.
1. Water Bladder
You have to stay hydrated on a hunting trip (And not just with beer). Water should be at the top of your list in terms of importance. This will keep you hydrated in case of an emergency if things go south. You need water while you wait for prey, but what if something goes wrong? Invest in a good water bladder that holds a lot of water and fill it before you set up in your station. Keep extra water close by and iodine tablets for purifying water if needed as well.
- LARGE OPENING FOR EASY CLEANING & FILLING – Our hydration bladder has one of the largest opening on the market. The big opening makes for easy pouring of water. It is also fairly wide for a hand or bottle brush easily access to the interior hydration bladder. The 4” screw on cap goes on and off easily. For cold water, simply add ice cubes directly from a scoop or refrigerator ice dispenser. The smooth inner of water reservoir promotes health and is easy to clean.
- PREMIUM QUALITY – The whole hydration bladder is made of premium material. CHERAINTI water reservoir is taste free, BPA free, SGS certified and 100% food grade. This tested to comply with international safety standards. It won’t leave a bad taste in your drink. The water bladder passed pneumatic pressure test, it is pressure-tolerant. Double sealing side technique has greatly improved durability. Might be the most rigid hydration bladder on the market.
- REMAIN PEFECTLY HYDRATED – This 2L water reservoir can withstand temperatures from -20 to 50 degrees Celsius. The tube resists temperature changes in hot and cold weathers. L 14.2'' x W 6.8'' hydration bladder is compatible with most hydration packs. The tube (0.4” diameter, 40” long) provides a wholesome flow for easy drinking, keeping you hydrated when biking, cycling, hiking, or running!
- 100% LEAKPROOF – You won't be slowed down with our high flow bite-valve. Simply bite the mouthpiece to suck water. Soft mouthpiece with easily accessible ON/OFF valve prevents leakage. It also has a cover to keep dirt out. Conveniently control the water flow by biting, when not bite, the water will not leak out. Quick-release tube is detachable. Auto shut off while the tube is removed, the hydration bladder will stay filled non-leaking. store neatly in fridge/icebox without tangling hose.
- GET A FREE ITEM and MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – Upon placing your order, you will get a magic bandana at no additional charge. Your purchase is backed by our 100% REFUND PROMISE. If you are not absolutely happy with your purchase of the hydration bladder for any reason, simply send it back for a full refund or to get a new replacement. No questions asked!
2. Good boots
Boots get better and more comfortable every season. You might have that old pair of lucky boots and good for you if you do, but there is no substitute for waterproof and quality boots. If you are in the cold and wet for very long and do not have decent pair of boots, the last thing you want are blisters. It doesn’t matter what you are hunting for, a good pair of boots will make or break your hunting trip.
- BEST QUALITY RUBBER AND NEOPRENE: These boots are made from the all natural top quality rubber. The 7MM neoprene is from the best you will find.
- WATERPROOF: Waterproof neoprene uppers and protective rubber overlays
- VERY COMFORTABLE AND WARM: 7MM Neoprene combined with Lightweight retain insulation to provide reliable warmth and protection.
- EASY ON AND OFF: Pull tabs for a easy on and off REMOVABLE INSOLES: Removable insoles help cushion your feet
- DURABLE OUTSOLES: Durable rubber outsoles for solid traction
A rangefinder is a device used when hunting to measure the distance to the target. As measuring the distance accurately is imperative, the range allowed by the device should be one of the most important factors to consider in choosing one. The range needed by the shooter will vary depending on the type of hunting in which she or he is doing.
- HUNTING LASER RANGEFINDER; Tired of cheap rangefinders with short ranges of measurement? Our PROWILD Laser Rangefinder is a premium product, measuring up to 540 yards with continuous scan mode, advanced speed technology, and a durable, water resistant body!
- SPEED, SCAN and HUNT TECHNOLOGY; Provides fast measurement with +/- 1 yard accuracy.
- THROUGH THE LENS DISPLAY; Premium, ultra clear, multilayered optics with easy read, through the lens display with distance and battery meter, and continuous measurement mode for fast, convenient measurements!
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE; (Eye-safe rangefinder Class 1 laser with <0.5mW average power output) measures just 104 x 72 x 41 mm and weighing just 185g, with a water and dust resistant, durable body, perfect for carrying while hunting, or for measuring and surveying without extra weight or bulk.
- FULL PACKAGE; Complete rangefinder package for quick setup, including carrying pouch, CR2 battery, strap, microfiber cleaning cloth, quick start guide, TecTecTec Happy Guarantee for 2 Years (Online Registration Required) and Lifetime customer support.
A headlamp and not a flashlight is something a hunter must have. This leaves both hands free to carry your gun and to deal with wildlife if you make a kill. You must do the dressing into night if you shoot an elk or large deer before sundown and you are going to need to use your headlamp and have both hands free.
- SUPER BRIGHT CREE-3W LED TECHNOLOGY (165 feet beam) - wide variety of white & red light modes + 45° tiltable body makes this headlight brightest and most versatile in its class. SOS and strobe mode will keep you safe in any situation.
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE – why equip yourself with anything but the best and most reliable headlamp? MX20 is built to last. It is rated to IPX5, which means it is protected against splashing or spraying water from any angle.
- EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE – More light while using less energy? Sure! Foxelli head flashlight offers up to 45 hours of run-time. 3x AAA ENERGIZER batteries are included, so you can start using your brand-new led headlamp right out of the box.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE – you won't even notice wearing it. Weighing only 3.2 ounces (with batteries) with easily adjustable, ergonomically designed elastic headband makes this light perfect for long distance runners looking for a comfortable fit.
- SUPER LONG BATTERY LIFE – by using leading CREE – 3W technology MX20 provides more light with less power used, resulting in up to 45 hours of run-time. 3 AAA ENERGIZER batteries included. Each head torch has been tested for quality.
Every hunter should always have binoculars. You want to be able to see miles away to scope out your prey from a long distance. And if you are up high, you want to be able to see the whole area below.
- Perfect compact lightweight binoculars for bird watching. Can be Used for both day and night (low-light-level night vision, can't see anything in complete darkness)
- Large field of view. Focusing in on your target for brilliant detail at 1000 yards out.
- Fully multi-coated lenses, waterproof, hyper-durable anti-slip grip gives you everything you want. Light-weight and can be folded, very convenient and easy to carry
- 10x magnification with 25 mm objective lens allows you to see objects 10x’s closer with clarity that strikes envy into the heart of your bird watching friends
- Suitable for both adults and kids, fit for hunting, hiking, exploring, viewing, sailing, bird watching, concert, outdoor sports etc.
6. Trail Camera
The trail camera is a great way to keep track of game over long periods of time if this is a regular hunting area. This camera will pick up animals wandering through the space over time and will track the traffic. The photos are stamped with a date and time so the hunter gains information as to when the game is in the local and how often. This will tell the hunter if this is still a good place to set up a hunting blind or not. At the very least, you might get some great photos of nature up close and personal.
- ◀ Excellent Sensitivity and Night Vision with 3 PIR ▶ The trail camera will detect movements of wild animals as soon as they enter the detecting range.With 3 passive infrared sensors,the high-sensitive camera detect and record every breathtaking motion with lower power consumption.The 42 pcs upgraded infrared LEDs can let you catch any moment even at dark night.850nm infrared technology support super clear night vision.
- ◀ Faster 0.3s Trigger Speed ▶ With 3 sensors, once detecting the movements,the hunting camera will be triggered instantly in 0.3s without delay.You will never miss any exciting moments even at night.The trigger distance is up to 20m(65ft). We don‘t recommend removing the protective foil or touching the sensor lenses on both sides as they may cause scratches (Scratches don't affect the detection effect).
- ◀ 16MP Clearer Image + 1080P Sharper Video Resolution ▶ The trail camera captures 16 Mega Pixel crystal images and full HD 1080P videos,providing more high-quality details during daytime(black and white at night).You could easily see the vivid world of wildlife. （ Micro SD card and batteries are Not Included ）
- ◀ 120° Wide Angle Lens + Waterproof Sturdy Device ▶ The game camera is equipped with 120° detecting range,which allows you to get excellent broader view.It will record any animal movements you want with wide angle lens even in rainy days.
- ◀ Best Gift & Extra Bonus ▶ The hunting cam is easy to operate and mount.You could apply the device to hunting, home security, property surveillance, wildlife monitoring and scouting,farm security. Campark service team provides professional after-sale services with 30 days payment back and 12-month quality support. trail camera SD card reader: https://amzn.to/2V6TASX
7. Night Owl Nex Gen Night Scope
The Night Own Nex Gen Night Scope is a great deal that has an ambient light magnification of 500x and it has a strong infrared illumination that grants you the capability to view objects that are normally undetected by the human eye during early morning hours and late evening hours. This is also a very easy to use device.
- 5x magnification, 700 field of view, 575 range of view
- Built-in infared illuminators for viewing in complete darkness
- Steel stringer system for additional precision and control
- Low battery indicator and extended infared operation on low battery
- Power Supply:requires (1) 3-volt Type-123 lithium battery (not included)
8. A Pocket Knife
A pocket knife probably goes without mentioning, but if you are going to hunt, you should have a good pocket knife. From slicing food, cutting ropes, to also skinning prey once it is killed, pocket knifes are multi-purpose tools that can never be forgotten.
9. Dependable Bag/backpack
Whether you have a backpack or durable duffle bag, this is an important tool for any hunting trip. Any bag should be waterproof and able to be carried for several miles with your essentials for your adventure. This bag should be lightweight and be an easy load. It is preferable to be able to carry this bag on your back or at least over a shoulder so your hands are free for the most part to carry your weapon.
The clothing needed for hunting, other than your weapon of choice, are the most important accessories for your trip. You should have a camouflage or camo/orange hat, rain gear that should be camo or orange as well. Gloves are a must as well as multiple pair in case the weather is rainy. Heavy duty socks are much needed and pack lots of them! Keep in water safe sealed bags. Wet feet equal a ruined trip and also my endanger your health.
11. Basic First Aid Kit
Your survival kit should have the basic last resort tools. Matches, bandages, blister kit, disinfectant, Tylenol, or ibuprofen, a compass and other first aid materials needed in case of injury or prolonged exposure.
12. Hunting License
Make sure you have your documentation with you at all times that shows you have the legal right to hunt in the state you are in. You never want to be caught without your hunting license and identification.
13. Hunting Blinds
Depending on what you are hunting for, there are different blinds for different game. A deer blind, for example can also double as shelter if need be if you get caught out in the elements and cannot make it back to where your base camp is set up. A good camo blind is the perfect setup for a day out of the rain and wind, but still able to hunt hiding right in plain sight.
14. Wire cutters
There is always a reason to use wire cutters when you are hiking toward where you plan to set up your stake out. Old abandoned wire fences have to be negotiated and with wire cutters, these are easily cut away and your adventure will not be compromised. You may also come across some thorny bushes that if they were just out of the way, you could set up the perfect natural blind. With good wire cutters and your gloves, you can take care of those thorn bushes and have your blind in nothing flat.
- KEY FEATURES – Hardened CV steel slices through wire, mono, and fluorocarbon with ease – Teflon coating – Crimp split shot or build leaders – Tighten knots with built-in cinch holes – These KastKing Intimidator 6” crimper-cutters are great as fishing tools and are handy fishing accessories to add to your fishing gear.
- HARDENED CV STEEL – This fishing tool is made with super hard CV steel cutters providing long lasting cutting performance, and can slice through mono, fluorocarbon, and up to 2mm thick wire with ease.
- TEFLON COATING – Our Intimidator Crimper-Cutters are coated with a tough Teflon coating for added protection. Designed for long term performance, this fishing accessory is ideal for freshwater environments.
- HEAVEY DUTY CRIMPER – Designed for optimal leverage, these crimpers deliver enough force to confidently build wire, mono, or fluorocarbon leaders and are also ideal for crimping split shot weights.
- BUILT-IN KNOT CINCH HOLE – The integrated cinch holes make it easy to ensure you knot is cinched down tight. To cinch down a knot quickly and safely, insert your hook into one of the holes in the jaws and pull on your hook to create a tight knot.
15. Bone Saw
The bone saw can come in handy for two reasons. A bone saw can be needed to cut through the rib cage of an animal or to cut through thick joints to quarter an animal out. The other handy thing about having a bone saw is to use it to cut fresh wood if needed to build a fire for heat.
- ★ MANY HAND SAWS ARE MADE OF FLIMSY AND CHEAP MATERIALS that bend and even break after a few uses. At Home Planet Gear, we made it our goal to create a SOLID, HIGH-PERFORMING saw made of PREMIUM MATERIALS that don't bend or break. After weeks of testing, we perfected EverSaw Folding Hand Saw, a rugged pull cut hand saw with a MEDIUM-TOOTH, ADJUSTABLE 8” SK5 CARBON STEEL BLADE. Made to easily cut wood, bone, and plastic up to 4” in diameter, cutting will never be a struggle again.
- ★ UNLIKE FOLDING SAWS WITH FAULTY POP-BUTTON LOCKING MECHANISMS that allow the saw to close or snap unexpectedly – a major SAFETY HAZARD – our small hand saw wood is specially designed with a stronger, DEPENDABLE GEAR LOCK to secure the open blade firmly in place. Our folding camp saw ’s blade fits fully into the handle, so NO TEETH ARE EXPOSED when closed – You feel extra safe while carrying it.
- ★ WHILE OTHER hand saws for cutting wood TEND TO BE MUCH DULLER THAN EXPECTED, our saw blade features super sharp, TRIPLE-CUT RAZOR TEETH made for Japanese-style pull cut sawing. Hardened to stay sharp and reduce friction, for SMOOTH, FAST SAWING. And with our butcher saw ’s ergonomic, thermoplastic RIBBED RUBBER HANDLE, you’ll never have to worry about it slipping.
- ★ TRULY MULTIPURPOSE – Our wood cutter has a WIDE VARIETY OF USES ranging from a backpacking saw, camping saw folding and hunting gear saw to a branch cutter, tree saw, limb saw, snow saw, winter pruning saw and pruning saws for tree trimming. They’re the perfect camping gear dad gifts for men and women, for their portable tool box. With an extended full length of 17” and 9½” inches when closed, our bone saw is a CONVENIENT SIZE AND WEIGHT for easy carry.
- ★ AT HOME PLANET GEAR, WE PUT IN THE TIME, RESEARCH, AND CARE to craft PREMIUM QUALITY, HIGH-PERFORMANCE TOOLS for the outdoorsman and outdoorswoman. A FAMILY-OWNED company right here in the U.S., our customers have been our top priority from day one. If for any reason you aren’t satisfied with our hand saws for trees – during the entire LIFETIME of your purchase – don’t hesitate to REACH OUT TO US so we can make it right.
This list could go on and on. Insect repellant, rope, hand warmers, maps, and more could also be on this list. One person can amass more hunting gear, clothes, and boots than non-hunters could possibly believe! Just remember, one of the main items is to have that durable bag to carry all of the things you need to have with you on your hunting adventure. Some items can always remain in the vehicle or at base camp, but the main supplies for your hunt have to be with you. All of the gear listed above if you have a most of those, are going to be in your bag.
Comfort is the name of the game. Remember to dress in layers and have more socks than you need. Carry extra water and if you think your pack is too heavy, pump it up a little before the next hunting season. Then next year it will get easier when you buy more neat gear! Remember, less is not more when it comes to great hunting gear.