This is for those that like to shoot and tinker with their guns. Caution, don’t tackle gunsmithing jobs unless you really know what you’re doing. You can get yourself into trouble, issues such as malfunctions and other accidents that can lead to you getting hurt. There are other activities you can do though, such as field stripping, taking grips off, taking springs out are all things I do recommend you do at home. Its a lot of fun and very satisfying, but you need to make sure you have the right gunsmithing tools and understand how they are used.
An Intro To Gunsmithing Tools
Just be sure that you don’t bite off more than you can chew. Do what you are comfortable with and have knowledge on. These gunsmithing tools we are going to introduce you to here are not only useful but pretty much necessary if you are going to be doing any sort of work on your guns. Check them out.
You need a dedicated gunsmithing screwdriver set. We like Brownells Magna Tips. These will fit virtually any gun and are of very high quality. The screws in a gunsmithing screwdriver set are made specifically for guns, while a standard screwdriver will slip off. Definitely worth their weight in gold.
- A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE SINCE 1941: Since being founded in 1941, every tool that has been produced by Grace USA has undergone a rigorous inspection process which helps ensure genuine QUALITY and PRECISION in every tool that you can TRUST.
- PRECISION FOR THE PERFECT FIT - EVERY TIME: Each gun care screwdriver is custom hollow ground to fit scope screws, plug screws, guard screws, floor plate, sight screws, and many other gun screws with a tolerance of +/- .002.
- BLADES THAT ARE BUILT TO LAST: The square shanked blades are hardened to R/C 52-56 and constructed of USA 8650 Chromium-Vanadium steel alloy with a black oxide finish while backed by our Forever Guarantee not to twist or chip.
- A HANDLE YOU'LL ENJOY HOLDING: Our screwdriver handles are turned to our exact specifications using Maine hardwood, delivering a strong, non-slippery grip - even when your hands are oily. The handles are topped off with a nickel-plated steel ferrule.
- CRAFTED FOR MANY APPLICATIONS: While our screwdrivers were constructed as the ideal tool for gunsmithing, they also can be used for woodworking, industrial, military, mechanical and home care needs.
A hemostat is very useful when tinkering with your gun and is one that most people might not think of. They are very helpful when you want to unhook or hook up a spring or align little parts that are too delicate to do with your hands. You can either pick some up online or hit up your doctor or dentist and get one of their old pairs.
- 6 Inch in length
- Sponge hemostat
- Stainless steel composition
- Mirror finish
One can never go wrong with an awesome pair of tweezers. We love tweezers that are offset. They are nice because it makes it super easy to reach inside a gun and grab a pin that might have dropped or fallen out of place. They are also very useful when it comes to cleaning your gun. It will make it easy to get a tiny piece of dirt or gunk that is in a hard-to-reach place.
- 6 Inch in length
- Serrated jaws
- Stainless steel composition
- Mirror finish
The dental pick is another tool many people might not think about. You can easily unhook a spring arm or pull out an extractor with ease. These are really useful gunsmithing tools for those tough little jobs that might take you a long time otherwise.
- This set is perfect precision pick set for professional jewelry repair
- Each of our tools are polished, providing a flawlessly smooth scraping action which prevents gum cuts and enamel damage
- This 4-piece kit has every tool you'll need for proper teeth cleaning
- Using only the finest stainless steel, each tool is built to last and has extreme precision with every use
- Dimensions: 6" x 3/8" x 1/4" | 6-1/4" x 3/8" x 1/4" | 5-3/4" x 1/2" x 1/4" | 6" x 3/8" x 1/4"
Barrel Bushing Wrench
If you are going to be doing work with 1911 style guns you are going to want a good quality barrel bushing wrench. This will make sure that you are able to move those increasingly difficult to turn fitted bushings that are in the more modern 1911’s.
- Wilson Combat
Parallel Jaw Pliers
Parallel jaw pliers are awesome. They have smooth jaws that provide even pressure on any part you are holding with them. You can find a pair of these pliers on Amazon or from Brownells.
- Ideal pliers for a applying an even pressure to metal and wire
- Made of High Grade Tool Steel with a Brass Lined Jaw That Prevents Marring on Metal
- Pliers have extension return spring in handle that provides for easy operation
- Compound-action handles are coupled to jaws that remain parallel throughout their range of motion.
- Pliers are 5 1/2 Inches Long With Cushion Comfort Foam Handles
You are going to want a good quality punch set. You should get one with starter punches and standard punches. The starter punches are great so that you don’t mark or hurt the gun. The standard punches are awesome to driving out pins and holding different things together such as a trigger group or an action.
- FAST AND SAFE: Help to drive out or insert solid pins, hollow pins, and springs.Boosteady Roll Pin Punch Set will be the tools that help you get the job done right
- ZIPPERED TOOL ORGANIZER POUCH: Keeps everything neatly organized space saving and easy to use. Come with a carrying pouch to keep tools organized.
- QUALITY BUILT: Made of harden steel.Drop forged and heat treated steel for extreme durability. Specifically designed for gunsmith
- COMPLETE RANGE of SIZES: Includes 1/16", 5/64", 3/32",1/8",5/32",3/16",7/32",1/4",5/16''
- SHOW DETAILS: Round ball tipped designs for precision jobs. Knurled handle for safe gripping
You will definitely want some sort of non-marring hammer. It’s great because you can easily get a tight piece off your gun such as a slide without hurting the gun or marring the steel. These can be super handy.
- TRIPLE WEDGE CONSTRUCTION - Securely fastens hammer head to
- MULTI-USE MALLET - Use for sheet metal forming, upholstery work, automotive work, assembling furniture, tile setting, laminate flooring installs, & more
- BUILT FOR THE PRO - framers, roofers, carpenters, contractors, tradesman & serious DIYers
- GENUINE HICKORY HANDLE - Designed to fit the grip of the user's hand ensuring comfort & control
- MADE IN THE USA - Our American made tools are proudly crafted Rockford, IL
You are always going to want a quality caliper. I prefer a digital caliper for quick, easy and accurate readings. Great for measuring the sight heights or barrel diameter.
- TWO MEASURING MODES, EASY READ VISIBILITY DISPLAY : One button quick change between measuring modes of inches and millimeters. Large high resolution LCD screen for easy and clear reading.
- PRECISION | ACCURACY: Measurement Range: 0 - 6" and 0 - 150mm; Accuracy: 0.001" / 0.03mm
- HARDENED STAINLESS STEEL: finely polished hardened stainless steel frame with knurled thumb roller and locking screw ensure smooth sliding and accurate positioning in use
- VERSATILITY: measure inside, outside, depth and step with two sets of jaws and the probe
- BONUS PLUS WARRANTY: Extra replacement LR44 battery along with one battery included, features automatic shut-off and custom fit storage case included for easy transport. 1 year warranty.
Last but not least is the Q-tip. Buy hundreds of them. These can be super useful for cleaning the gun, applying oil, and guiding parts in. You will definitely use dozens of them on each of your projects.
- You will for sure want good quality lubricant. You are going to be taking apart and putting your guns back together over and over so it is always good to have lubricant to keep them in top shape.
- Have a magnifying glass. This will help find and put together those little parts that are easy to miss.
You can also check out this full video on an Intro To Gunsmithing
Did you enjoy hearing about an Intro to Gunsmithing Tools? Let us know in the comments section below what your thoughts are on this. Do you have any other gun topics you’d like to share? Share it with us and we’ll check it out!
We are highly interested anything firearms and want to share and inform you of the latest and best information. That’s why we created this site, we want people to be more in touch with quality firearms information so that you can arm and defend yourself effectively in any situation.We would love to hear what you think and stay connected with us.
- All-in-one: Universal cleaning accessory kit for used for all types of shotguns, rifles and pistol cleaning. All you need to clean common caliber guns in a compact case. Our case is designed to keep the pieces in their place, we also included 2 spaces to put you cleaning oil and solvent.
- No Cheap Plastic: All our slotted tips and cleaning jags are made of high quality nylon plastic. Sets from other brands use cheap plastic tips that can easily break after two uses. With this set you will not experience the frustration of having a broken jag/tip inside your gun barrel.
- Helpful & Portable: Keep your guns performing at their best by utilizing this cleaning/maintenance kit. Everything is kept neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic carrying case.
- Package:3 solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for 30 caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders; In addition the Universal Gun Cleaning Kit also has 14 brushes; 9 mops; 12 spear-pointed jags; 1 black powder jag; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes.
- Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please contact us, we'll be glad to help you.