Strep throat, otherwise known as streptococcal pharyngitis, is an infection of the throat that affects the pharynx, tonsils, and larynx. It is caused by a class of bacterium known as Group A Streptococcus.
In other words, it’s a severe sore throat and hurts like heck! (That’s putting it mildly!) If you have never had strep throat, consider yourself one of the lucky few. It usually affects those between the ages of 5-15 but, people of any age can suffer from this highly contagious infection. Let’s go over the symptoms and again – strep throat is extremely contagious!
The symptoms of strep throat include:
- Sudden and intense sore throat
- Yellow and/or white spots in your throat (including tonsils)
- Pain and difficulty swallowing
- Swollen tonsils and/or swollen lymph nodes in the neck or throat
- Fever over 101 degrees
- Loss of appetite and/or vomiting is possible
To ensure the healing process of strep throat it is important to follow these additional steps:
- Drink plenty of fluids. It is important to stay as hydrated as possible.
- Using a humidifier in the home will help keep your throat moist. The moisture in the air will slightly decrease throat pain.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Try your very best not to talk in the first few days. This will give your throat the much needed rest it needs.
To help the non-spreading of this highly contagious infection please do the following:
- Avoid sneezing and coughing on others.
- Wash your hands often.
- Use tissues that you can throw away, not handkerchiefs.
- Consider using disposable cups until you are well.
- Use a new toothbrush as soon as symptoms arise. Replace toothbrush when you are no longer contagious. Failing to replace your toothbrush can cause you to be re-infected. (This also goes for lip balms as well.)
- Use anti-bacterial dish soap to wash all dinnerware you use during your contagious period.
Since strep throat is in fact a throat infection, it is highly recommended that you are properly diagnosed and treated with antibiotics. Along with antibiotics, the following home remedies can help alleviate the extreme discomfort of strep throat and speed up the recovery process.
*Disclaimer: The following information is for educational purposes only and is not meant to replace advice or treatment from your doctor.
5 Home Remedies for Strep Throat
Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV possesses anti-bacterial properties that help get rid of the bacteria and boosts your immune system to help fight the infection.
- Mix one to three teaspoons of ACV in one cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution several times a day for two to three days.
- You can also add one tablespoon each of ACV and honey to a small glass of warm water Drink this twice a day for a few days until the symptoms subside.
Want more information on the health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar? Check out my previous article, Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Cayenne is another very effective natural remedy for strep throat. This pungent spice has anti-inflammatory as well as anti-bacterial properties that will help reduce inflammation and combat the growth of the bacteria that causes strep throat. The compound called capsaicin in cayenne also aids in flushing toxins and other infection causing agents out of the body.
- Mix together ¼ teaspoon of cayenne powder, one tablespoon of honey, and three grated garlic cloves. Take ½ of a teaspoon of this mixture every half to one hour, several times a day. Avoid drinking water immediately after taking this mixture.
- Alternatively, add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne and one tablespoon of lemon juice to one glass of hot water. Gargle with this solution several times a day. Follow this remedy for one to two days to notice a huge improvement in your condition.
Due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, garlic is also used as a home remedy for many infections, including strep throat. The high sulfur content in garlic improves the functioning of the immune system which helps the body fight off the infection.
- Peel a fresh garlic clove, slice it in half, and suck on a piece like a candy. Occasionally crush the garlic between your teeth to release its juice. Do this several times a day for a few days for best results.
- Alternatively, bring one cup of water to a boil. Add one teaspoon of grated garlic, ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of cayenne to the water. Boil for an additional two minutes, then strain it. Drink it warm, twice a day until symptoms subside.
To learn more about the many benefits of garlic, check out this great article, The Hidden Power of Garlic, from us here at Survival Life.
Another way to deal with the pain and inflammation associated with strep throat is gargling with warm salt water. The warm water will have a soothing effect on the throat and the salt will help kill the bacteria that causes strep throat.
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water. (Get the water as warm as you can stand it. I personally find that the warmer the water, the more effective this remedy is.)
- Gargle with this solution for a few seconds, then spit it out. Repeat until the mixture is gone.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day. (Make sure to do this right before bed at night. Do not drink any liquids for at least ½ hour after you gargle.)
Check out this great article from us here at Survival Life, 27 Surprising Uses for Salt, to learn more about the many uses and benefits of salt.
Lemon and Honey
The vitamin C in lemon helps combat the growth of bacteria that causes strep throat as well as promotes your overall health. Honey is a natural healing agent and helps keep the throat well moisturized and relieves soreness and inflammation.
- Mix one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a cup of lukewarm water.
- Sip the mixture slowly.
- Drink this as often as needed for several days to treat strep throat.
To learn more about the many benefits of honey, check out this article Benefits of Honey | Using Honey for Wellness and Survival, from us here at Survival Life.
If you have a home remedy for strep throat that you would like to share with us, please share with us in the comment section below.
For awesome survival gear you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
In need of a few of these home remedies? Check out these options:
- Stock up on some Rawseed Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to have on hand when strep throat strikes!
- You may be lucky enough to live somewhere that produces excellent organic local honey, but if not, this Nature Nate’s 100% Pure, Raw and Unfiltered Honey is a great choice!
- If you’re looking for some cayenne pepper, then this Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper is for you!