You always want to be prepared for any situation. This is especially true when it comes to the defense of your home or family. You want to be able to reload your weapons as fast as possible, given a dangerous or life-threatening circumstance. Knowing how to reload your shotgun from empty, quickly and efficiently is key to being prepared for these situations. You’ll want to make sure you practice ammo reloading enough that it becomes second nature to you.
Shotgun Ammo Reloading Tips for Combat
1. Choose your shotgun
Pictured here is the Wilson Combat 870 – Remington 870 sent over to wilson combat and was transformed into the tactical 870. This shotgun has a tactical stock (shorter), surefire weapon light, sidesaddle and ghost-ring sights.
We recommend all your self-defense guns have lights on them for good target acquisition, you don’t want to be making mistakes in your home when using a firearm. We are going to be reloading from a sidesaddle with slugs in it. No matter what shotgun you either already have or decide to buy, these tips will allow you to quickly and efficiently ammo reload while in combat.
2. Know your ammo
You want to be sure to know what type of ammo you are shooting. You can use whatever you like (unless its birdshot) but buckshot or slugs are commonly used. Don’t mix buckshot and slugs. You want to know what is coming out of your gun and what it can do.
- Hold 25 Shotgun Shells: Fit 12G 20G Shells. 6 horizontal rows with 4 loops per row and 1 additional shell loop between the last two rows. Each loop 1 inch wide.
- MOLLE: 2x 7.5 inch back MOLLE straps. it attaches easily and securely to MOLLE equipped gears, like shotgun scabbard,backpack,vest,chest rig,etc.
- Compact Size: foldable design,Folded Size 8"H x 4"W x 1.5"D,Double-layered at the folding point.
- Durable: Made of Durable Nylon, Reinforced Stitching,Sturdy built, it can be used for many years.
- Quick Access: Adjustable flap with hook & loop and pull tab,make it secure and quick access.
3. Port/Combat Loading – Underhand
When port loading or combat loading you have two options: The one shown here is where you grab your round and slide your hand under the gun, placing in the round. Using this method has little control and it is more likely the round will fall out of your hand.
4. Port/Combat Loading – Overhand
The overhand method is exactly as it states, you load the firearm by putting in the round over the top. To make it easier you can slightly turn the gun so that the round drops right in. This can be a little bit faster with much more control over the underhand method.
- 844728 600 Jr
- Series mark V shot shell reloaded
- Type shot shell reloading press
You can also check out the full video on Wilson Combat 870 – Loading a Shotgun in Combat
Did you enjoy these Shotgun Ammo Reloading Tips for Combat? Let us know in the comments section below what your thoughts are on these. Do you have any other gun topics you’d like to share? Share it with us and we’ll check it out. We are highly interested anything firearms and want to share and inform you of the latest and best information. That’s why we created this site, we want people to be more in touch with quality firearms information so that you can arm and defend yourself effectively in any situation.We would love to hear what you think and stay connected with us.