Tiny homes have really taken off in the last few years. People are joining this movement for many reasons, but the most popular reasons include environmental and financial concerns and the desire for more time and freedom.
Most Americans dedicate 1/3 to 1/2 of their income to the roof over their heads. This means Americans have to work 15 years (or more) during their lifetime just to pay for it, and because of that fact, 76% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.
With international attention on CNN, AP, Guardian, Huffington Post, NBC, Oprah, PBS and so many more, the tiny house movement has helped people learn about another way to live their lives.
Tiny Homes: Your Most Valuable Survival Tool
The Tiny Home Movement
I started thinking about another reason why the tiny home movement, in the eyes of a true survivalist, is one of the greatest ideas ever. When it all hits the fan and you and your loved ones have to escape to safety, you can literally take your home with you! So, in my eyes, having a tiny home makes it a “survival” tool which is your most valuable tool for survival. The one place in the world where you feel safe and secure – home sweet home!
In Case of Emergency
If you have to escape to safety, where could you and your tiny home go? There are a few solutions:
- Suitable backyards for RV’s or sheds (a friend or family member’s backyard for example).
- Renting or buying your own piece of land (some people rent or buy land ahead of time just for situations like this).
- RV parks
Some people even run a free Craigslist “Wanted” ad. When posting on Craigslist, I highly recommend using a photo of a tiny house (preferably your own tiny home) so that potential landowners see what they are working with.
Tiny homes are cost effective and there are so many great options:
- You can build it yourself. This can be the most cost-effective option. You can use salvaged materials which will save you money.
- If you do not have the extra time or experience then you can have one built for you. This company, Tiny Home Builders, may be able to help.
- You can also go to Tiny House Listings and browse the many great tiny homes for sale. There are lots of options when it comes to affordable tiny houses. Some of the tiny houses on this site come with land so it’s a great option if you are looking for both a tiny home and land.
- Another option, if you prefer a tiny home without wheels, is converting a portable building into a tiny home. They come in different sizes to fit your family’s needs. For example, this portable building from Home Depot is suitable for transforming into a tiny home and is perfect for a single person or even a couple without children.
If you’re new to the tiny home movement, here is a great video of a couple showing how they built their own beautiful tiny home:
When it all hits the fan, it is an awesome feeling knowing you have the option of taking your home with you! If you have a tiny home story to share, we would love to hear them and take tips and techniques from your experience.
Are you planning of building your own tiny home for survival? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
For awesome survival gear, you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on January 26, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.