Pick your child’s first firearm with this guide, plus options for the safest yet effective training tool for your young gun enthusiasts!
In this article:
- Mossberg 510 Mini All Purpose
- Thompson/Center Hot Shot
- Crickett .22LR
- Rossi Trifecta
- Savage Rascal
- CZ 452 Scout
- Henry Mini Bolt Youth
- Ruger 10-22 Youth
Choosing Your Child’s First Firearm
It is always best to have your kids interested in guns at an early age. Having your child practice shooting and hunting early is the best way to let them learn gun safety.
With the 2nd amendment under siege these days, it also best they learn their rights to self-defense and responsible gun ownership. But, what are the proper if not the best firearms for them at their young age?
The guns listed below can run from $150 to $350 may be a bit more but most fall in the $200+ ranger and it is not terribly expensive to get your child involved in the gun community.
Get out there a teach your kid how to shoot correctly, safely and just have some fun.
1. Mossberg 510 Mini All Purpose[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh2eV26BnYi/ hidecaption=true width=625] This shotgun is available in both .410 and 20 gauge. Both of these are great choices for children getting ahold of guns.
The .410 will have less kick than the 20 gauge but depending on your child’s size and age you can choose whichever would work best.
It does come with an adjustable stock, as they grow you just need to add spacers to have the shotgun fit their size. It comes in either 3 or 4 capacity, 35-inch length and weighing in at only 5lbs.
2. Thompson/Center Hot Shot[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BxIhtQzB39D/ hidecaption=true width=625] This is a smaller version of the T/C Encore but in .22LR. It’s a very easy gun to use, easy to cock, open and shoot.
It’s really great because if the parent has the regular version it is really easy for the child to watch and see how to use the gun and it will be easy to move to the regular encore when they get older.
It has an adjustable stock for them to grow into and is always safe until the gun is cocked.
3. Crickett .22LR[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/mf8WqNgkUw/ hidecaption=true width=625] This .22LR rifle is a great choice for a child to learn to shoot on. It has a key lock feature which allows the gun to be completely locked up and unusable.
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
This is a great safety feature that will prevent unwanted use of the gun. Just be sure to keep the keys with you in case you accidentally press the lock.
It is 30.5 inches in length and weighs approximately 3lbs. Great little gun to learn on.
4. Rossi Trifecta[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ2wgccANmM/ hidecaption=true width=625] This is an awesome rifle because it comes with three different barrels one for .22LR, one for 20 Gauge and a .243 Win. You just need to loosen the screw, remove the forend and swivel.
Next, open the action and replace the barrel and forend, tighten the screw again and you are ready to go. They make it easy and fast to change barrels.
5. Savage Rascal[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDsPU5BZyK/ hidecaption=true width=625] The Rascal comes with a 7 shot magazine and an Accutrigger that makes the action very delicate and easy to shoot. It comes with a synthetic stock which can be replaced with a bigger stock when they get older and weighs in at 2.95lbs and a 31.5-inch length.
It is also drilled and tapped for scope mounts so you can add a scope if needed. I would recommend this gun to anyone, not just a child.
6. CZ 452 Scout[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb0N9Scnihy/ hidecaption=true width=625] This is an adult-type .22LR that comes in pink and walnut wood. It comes in at 5.05lbs making it a bit heavier than most and is 32.76 inches long also making slightly longer than other .22LR rifles.
7. Henry Mini Bolt Youth[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/Bok9YzZhJtE/ hidecaption=true width=625] This gun has been around for many years. Have to pull the striker back to cock it. The Henry weighs in at 3.25lbs and is only 30.25 inches long.
Very fun gun to shoot and a great choice for children.
8. Ruger 10-22 Youth
— Cory Johnson (@BuckFinn1) August 1, 2015
This is for older kids as it is a semi-automatic .22 rifle. It has fiber optic sights and a quick release 10 round magazine.
If you want a bigger one, Ruger Youth rifles also make a 25 round magazine for this firearm. If you are buying for a girl it also comes in pink if that’s what they like.
Editor’s Note: Legal “Loophole” Allows You To Carry Concealed In 28 States
Check out this video by Iraqveteran8888 for your child’s first firearm:
From these choices for your child’s first firearm, you can find the perfect tool to teach your kids about guns, self-defense, and responsible gun ownership.
At this stage, it is best to introduce them to firearms through play, first. You can trust these kid’s firearms to do a good job at it.
Do you think any of these guns would be suitable for your kid? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- Top 5 Guns For The Ladies
- Out With The Old: 5 Guns You Should Get Rid Of
- Hunting Guns | Top 11 Rifles, Shotguns, And Handguns For Hunting
Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on July 9, 2015, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.