Joe Biden is going toe-to-toe with Donald Trump for the most powerful seat in the country. If he wins, how will that affect gun owners and your right to own a gun? If you’re wondering about Biden’s gun control plan, continue reading below.
The Comprehensive Biden Gun Control Plan
There has been a line drawn in the sand.
The “Republicans” are in favor of the 2nd Amendment and unrestricted rights to bear arms.
The “Democrats” are hell-bent on repealing the 2nd Amendment as an outdated and antiquated allowance for “muzzleloaders and muskets.”
But with so many divisive topics affecting voters’ decisions in 2020, where does Joe Biden stand on gun control specifically?
Joe Biden is the presumptive Democratic candidate for President, challenging Republican incumbent Donald Trump on November 3.
Biden has served as an elected official in Washington for over four decades.
He has been involved in numerous gun control efforts with varying degrees of success.
Now, in his bid for the Presidency, Biden is taking a strong stance on gun control.
He has an exhaustive list of all the ways he plans to curb ownership and increase fees associated with owning firearms.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, massive unemployment, interrupted supply chains, and civil unrest that 2020 has brought, firearm and ammunition sales have skyrocketed month after month in the U.S.
With nearly 40% of gun purchases being made by first-time buyers, a candidate’s gun control plan should be of special interest this election cycle and a primary factor in who to vote for.
Biden’s History of Gun Control Efforts
Joe Biden has consistently been in favor of increased gun control throughout his time in Washington.
In 1993, he helped to push through the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which established the background check system that we still use today.
Discover the Truth About Almost Anybody: Be In The Know About The People in Your Life! Try A Background Check Today. Social Media, Photos, Police Records, Background Checks, Civil Judgments, Contact Information and Much More!
In 1994, Biden helped to secure the passage of a 10-year ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. [The Bush administration did not renew the ban when it expired.]
As Vice President to Barack Obama, Biden worked on executive actions that narrowed the “gun show loophole.”
He helped increase the number of records in the background check system and expanded funding for mental health services.
As a senator in 2005, Biden also voted against the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
This act protects gun manufacturers from being held civilly liable for their products. [The act passed.]
Current Goals by a Biden Administration
Biden’s campaign team has put together a comprehensive and exhaustive explanation of every type of legislation he would pursue if he is to become President.
The list stretches on for many pages, addressing every aspect of gun ownership and the possibility of weapon removal from homes.
The highlights are:
- Make gun manufacturers civilly liable for their products. [The never-ending legislation would put many out of business.]
- Ban the manufacture, sale, and importation of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. This includes all variations of similar weapons.
- Require that any and all existing machine-guns, silencers, and short-barreled rifles be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and their owners undergo a background check.
- Create a government program that requires owners of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines to either sell the weapons to the government or register them under the National Firearms Act (NFA). [The NFA was enacted in 1934, and registering guns under it costs $200 as well as registration fees – for each weapon already owned. Violators of the NFA face 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.]
- Create legislation that limits the number of firearms a person can purchase in one month to one.
- Require background checks for all gun sales, with the only exception being gifts between close family members.
- Disallow the ownership of guns by any person who does not manage their affairs for “mental reasons.”
- Create legislation that bans a person “who has been convicted of a misdemeanor hate crime, or received an enhanced sentence for a misdemeanor because of hate or bias in its commission” from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
- Pass the Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2019, which extends the time a background check can be approved, from three to 10 business days, delaying lawful purchases from occurring.
- Enact legislation that any person facing an arrest warrant is prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
- End the online sale of firearms and ammunition, including gun kits.
- Create an aggressive program to ensure individuals who become prohibited from possessing firearms to relinquish their weapons.
- Financially incentivize states to enact “red flag” laws that remove firearms from “an individual in crisis.”
- Financially incentivize states to submit records of prohibited persons to the background checks system.
- Supports a future in which 100% of firearms in use are “smart guns.” [Smart guns require a fingerprint to operate.]
- Supports legislation holding adults criminally and civilly liable for directly or negligently giving a minor access to a firearm, regardless of whether the minor actually gains possession of the firearm.
- Has committed to passing legislation requiring firearm owners to store weapons safely in their homes.
- Make “straw purchases” a serious federal crime.
- Notify law enforcement when a potential firearms purchaser fails a background check, requiring law enforcement to follow up and ensure prohibited persons do not attempt to acquire firearms through other means.
- Require firearms owners to report if their weapon is lost or stolen.
- Allot significant funding to the Justice Department to enforce our existing gun laws and increase the frequency of inspections of firearms dealers.
- Prohibit the use of federal funds to arm or train educators to discharge firearms.
Voice Your Opinion at the Polls
Even those who are in favor of increased gun control will be turned off by Biden’s plan that discriminates against low-income and working-class communities.
Those with significant funds will still be able to fund their arsenals, while poor individuals will be shut out from owning firearms and protecting their families.
With little attention on handguns, Biden fails to address the majority of weapons used in daily shootings.
This election cycle may be one of the most important in history when it comes to the 2nd Amendment.
Be sure to voice your opinion at the polls come November 3.
What are your thoughts on the Biden Gun Control Plan? Share it with us in the comments section!