Coconut provides amazing coconut uses you may not know about. Learn more about what these coconut benefits are here!
Coconut Uses You Probably Didn’t Know But Should
1. Soothes Dry Skin and Chapped Lips
Avoid dry and painful chapped lips by applying coconut oil. Coconut oil can be extracted by boiling, which is a time-consuming process but definitely worth it.
Here are the steps you can follow for extracting coconut oil:
- Start by grating the coconut meat. You can try to build a grater with a block of wood and some nails – just put the nails in rows and make sure they sprout out of the wood. If this isn’t doable, get some rough wood to help you grate the meat.
- Add hot water to the coconut and stir this mixture until it cools. Then, squeeze the coconut meat as much as you can to extract as much coconut milk as possible.
- Add more hot water after the first squeeze, and repeat the process after you squeezed out as much milk as you can.
- Put the coconut milk over the fire and leave it there to boil.
- After an hour, the foam will form on the surface and yellowish fat will appear on the edges. When this happens, sprinkle water on the coconut milk’s surface to draw out the oil.
- When the foam begins to dissipate and you see the surface is covered with golden oil, you can pull the mixture out of the heat. Pour it through a strainer or cloth to capture the foam and bits of coconut milk.
- Allow the coconut milk to settle and solidify. Pour into a small bowl to skim the surface of your container.
- Set aside what is left after skimming and transfer the rest to another container, and put it on the fire for another 15 minutes.
- After the bubbles disappear, you’ll see the newly extracted coconut oil!
2. Hygienic Purposes
From soap, mouthwash, deodorant, ear cleaner, hair conditioner, hand wash, or lice treatment, coconut has a variety of uses for hygienic purposes.
Making soap, handwash, and deodorant from coconut milk takes a long process. It is easier to use coconut milk as a hair conditioner and head lice treatment. You simply apply pure coconut milk to your hair down to the scalp, let it stand in your hair for some time, and that’s it!
3. Rust Removal
A knife is a handy tool to have in the wild, but if it’s rusty, all you need to do is apply a thick layer of coconut oil and leave it on for 1 to 2 hours. Wipe it off and repeat if necessary.
If you’re lucky enough to have a knife with you during an emergency situation but find yourself unable to use it because of rust, coconuts can help you out.
- Dissolves and removes rust easily so you can restore your surface
- Makes your surfaces paint ready
- Safe for use on metals, ceramic, porcelain and glass
4. Nose Bleed Prevention
Being out in the sun can increase the risk of a nosebleed. Gently applying coconut oil inside your nose can help prevent it. While a bleeding nose is rarely a sign of a serious medical problem, it can prohibit you from functioning as you normally would.
When it comes to the jungle, stay off the ground. Jungle Survival Shelters | How To Stay High And Dry In The Jungle https://t.co/9Dr8HFJFqi
— Survival Life (@SurvivalLF) August 23, 2017
5. Treatment for Wounds and Cuts
Prevent wounds and cuts from worsening by applying coconut oil to the affected area and covering it with a bandage. Among its coconut oil uses includes anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
You may consider this as a first aid method for cuts and abrasions that might become a much bigger problem if left untreated.
Discover the Truth About Almost Anybody: Be In The Know About The People in Your Life! Try A Background Check Today. Social Media, Photos, Police Records, Background Checks, Civil Judgments, Contact Information and Much More!
- Gentle hand/facial cleansing towelette designed for general cleaning and personal hygiene
- An effective cleansing aid
- Ideal for midstream clean catch urine specimen procedures and hand/facial general Use
6. Cooking Bowl
Find yourself in a deserted island riddled with fish and clams? Fish can easily be cooked using a stick, but clams are trickier. To roast clams, you can use a DIY cooking bowl from a coconut shell.
Remember, coconut shells are only good for quick cooking since they are also combustible. Coconut shells can also serve as your dishes.
7. Relief from Bug Bites
Coconut oil is a great remedy for the uncomfortable symptoms caused by bug bites such as swelling and itching. Applying coconut oil to those pesky insect bites can remedy and prevent the swelling and itching, therefore providing relief.
No products found.
Known as the “tree of life”, the coconut tree is among the most beneficial plants to mankind, thanks to the many uses of coconut trees from being a food source to shelter-building materials. Now you know a few more coconut benefits you can use in a survival situation. Consider yourself lucky whenever there is a coconut tree nearby!
Do you know of any other coconut uses and benefits? Let us know in the comments section!
**Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here**
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on January 18, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.