If you’ve decided to read this post, chances are you own at least one gasoline container with a broken fuel spout. I, too, have a couple of old fuel containers with broken nozzles. About a year ago, I came across a product that looked promising, the EZ-Pour Fuel Jug Spout. I decided to give it a try, thinking I could use it for my old gas cans. What were my thoughts? Read on to find out!
EZ-Pour Fuel Jug Spout | To Spout or Not to Spout?
In this article:
Over the past few decades, fuel containers have evolved significantly. The biggest change is in the materials. Most gas cans these days are made from High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE), which is a rugged plastic material. The containers made from this material are lightweight and last for a long time under normal use. Their weak point, though, is their spout. These are made from more lightweight and flexible plastic, which have a tendency to crack and break after a few years.
This is exactly the problem I have experienced myself. I had two smaller gasoline containers that I used in my vehicle emergency kits. Since I live in Arizona, the heat and the dry air caused the fuel spouts to crack, defeating the purpose of the containers. But, I didn’t want to throw them away. They were still in perfectly good condition. That’s when I started looking around for replacement spouts. Eventually, I found the EZ-Pour online and purchased a couple for my containers.
Combined Manufacturing, Inc. makes different versions of the EZ-Pour Spout. There is a Water Jug Spout, a Hi-Flow Fuel Spout, and a Hi-Flow Water Spout. The most popular one is the EZ-Pour Fuel Jug Spout which I will review here. They also make various adapters for Jerry Cans, Chilton Gas Cans, and Racing Jugs. In other words, if you have a plastic fuel container, they probably have an EZ pour spout kit for it.
- Long Flexible Spout - EZ Pour Gas Can Spout is a sturdy choice, made with an extra-dense material, something that won’t go brittle and crack in the cold. This single spout is designed to ensure a fast flow, letting you spend less time in the cold and more time using the fuel.
- Lightweight And Durable - This gas can spout lightweight and durable. You can easily attach it to any gas and water cans for keeping spare gasoline to carrying out chores around the house. With this gas spout kit, you can update your old gas can. This kit comes with two unique spouts, one a regular spout and another Vent Kit 8" Spout Extension For Those Hard To Reach Tanks.
- Unbreakable And High-Quality Material - This kit includes two spouts. It’s an excellent product. It does come with vents, which is a major plus for everyone that hates spill-proof tanks’ limitations. It does everything it says it will without a struggle.
- Comes With Everything You Need - A gas can spout, and it comes with a total of two spouts and the necessary goods to hook them up. Yes, that includes the vents and screw caps. These spouts are great and will work on most cans.
- Perfect For Tight Spaces - This is another flexible spout, and yes, it is. This spout comes with a reducer tip. That reducer tip can be convenient if you need to add fuel in an incredibly narrow opening.
Only pre-2009 gas cans fit spouts currently out in the market. The reason is the EPA, in their bureaucratic wisdom, decided that fuel can spout needed “improvements” to meet new standards. The result was spouts that are almost impossible to use. One perfect solution is the EZ-Pour Spout. For residents of most US states, you can purchase it and replace the existing one in your older gas can.
The EZ-Pour Spout is priced at $10.95 on the manufacturer’s website, plus shipping fee. Retail and online prices will vary by a buck or two.
I purchased two of the regular EZ-Pour spouts because they fit my fuel containers (a Blitz and a Wedco). The first thing I noticed is how long they are. This is apparent because both of my containers are small ones—on larger containers they will seem normal.
The spouts don’t fold-up or collapse into the container. Instead, they’re both detachable and extendable. This does take up less space and would normally increase the risk of spillage, but the quality of the top cap and the base cap will prevent this from happening. The tube is strong yet has some flexibility, which is what you want in a spout. The caps are very sturdy and fit well with both the spout and the container. The kit also contains a second cap for the spout or can vent, a replacement push-in vent, a second base cap, and a flame arrester.
- FUEL LOSS PERVENTION SYSTEM | Never lose a drop of Fuel Again | Our Pump was Engineered to be prevent any Fuel Loss by Automatically Stoping your precious Fuel | Our Built-In Sensor will warn you with a boisterous Beep preventing any Overflow
- 3X FLOW RATES | Siphons at rate of 2.4 Gallons per Minute or 10 Quartz | Transfer gas, light oil, kerosene, diesel and more | Suction Tube Length of 15.5 inch fits 3 to 5 gallon gas cans, Jerrycans, Pail Buckets etc - Suction Tube Diameter of 1.3 inch sure to fit most fuel containers
- LARGE CAPACITY TRANSFERS | Capacity of up to 600 Quarz of Fuel or 150 Gallons with only Two (2) AA Batteries [NOT Included] Fuel without worry of needing to Change Batteries out | Fuel anywhere is your home, garage, farm, side or the road or Drain Sinks, Tubs, Basements and much more
- CSA CERTIFIED | Under UL Standards. This product was tested by CSA per an agreement with UL, and is certified for use in both Canada and the US according to applicable Canadian and US standards and backed by a 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty | Feel confident utilizing this pump anywhere
- NEVER LOSE A DROP OF FUEL | Our Pump was Engineered to be prevent any Fuel Loss by Automatically Stoping your precious Fuel | Our Built-In Sensor will warn you with a boisterous Beep preventing any Overflow
When I put mine together and installed them on my gas containers, I was pleased with how everything fit together. The materials are high-quality and solid. I wasn’t afraid of breaking anything while I put it all together. In addition, it only took me a couple minutes to assemble and install.
Putting EZ Pour Hi Flo to the test
A few weeks ago, I decided to put these to the test with real fuel and a real vehicle. I went to my local gas station with my old containers and their new spouts. It takes an effort to unscrew the fuel spout from the can, which is a good thing. That means its threading is good and is unlikely to either unscrew or spill. After I filled the can, I screwed the spout back on and put it in the trunk of my car. When I got home, there was no fuel in my trunk and the cap was still on the spout.
After, I went to my other car to fuel it up from the can. I took the cap off, put the spout in the tank, and tilted the container up. Everything flowed easily and in a few seconds, the can was empty. Plus, no fuel was spilled. The only catch is the flap on the fuel filler tube wanted to hang on to the fuel spout. After a little wiggling, it came out, and I replaced the car’s fuel cap. In other words, the EZ-Pour spout worked like a charm.
- Solid construction from good materials
- Threads prevent fuel from leaking
- Somewhat long spout for small containers takes up extra space
West Texas Prepper shows a video on replacing his old jug spout with the EZ pour replacement spout:
If you have any pre-2009 fuel containers laying around, you should consider getting an EZ-Pour fuel jug spout for them. They will allow you to continue to use your old style gas can with a spout that actually works well. The EZ-pour fuel jug spout could easily be the best gas can spout solution out there. I highly recommend them, and they won’t disappoint! Overall Rating 8/10.
What are your thoughts about the EZ-Pour Fuel Jug Spout? Let us know in the comments section below!
Up Next: Itzagascan Product Review
Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on September 23, 2017, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.