Know how to disassemble a Glock as a proud owner of this exceptional pistol. Scroll down and find out how you can easily and safely field strip your Glock.
RELATED: How To Paint A Glock Slide
In this article:
How to Disassemble a Glock in Just a Few Minutes
The Glock Pistol
A Glock pistol is one of those compact firearms, ideal for concealed carry and is used as a backup weapon in law enforcement. Although this weapon is small, it packs an exceptional punch.
It can take down perpetrators in an instant, provided you have the skills to shoot it. It is very important to know how to disassemble a Glock for cleaning and maintenance.
Below is the step by step procedures to a Glock detail strip to keep it in tip-top shape.
Glock Cleaning Supplies :
- Glock Armour’s Tool or a 3/32 punch
- Small flat-head screwdriver
- A pair of needle-nose pliers
- Small bench block or a roll of duct tape
How to Disassemble a Glock | Instructions:
Step 1. Unload Your Glock
First, make sure the gun is unloaded before you disassemble it. Then, you need to check the chamber and make sure to remove any ammunition present.
Step 2. Remove the Barrel
Next, you need to pull the trigger then pull the slide back about a quarter of an inch. Bring your take-down levers down then pull your top barrel assembly off.
Now, set the barrel aside.
- MAKE ANY GLOCK CLEANING OR MAINTENANCE TASK LESS MESSY AND MORE ORGANIZED: This Glock gun cleaning mat has a parts tray to keep you more organized than other Glock bench mats. Plus, it stores easy, protects your gun and table, and it has great graphics.
- KEEP PARTS FROM DISAPPEARING: You bump your table and a pin rolls to the floor. Stop searching for those small parts. Get this Glock gun mat. The attached parts tray is red to help you see parts and the magnetized section holds very small parts in place.
- PROTECT YOUR KITCHEN TABLE: Tired solvent damaging your kitchen table? When liquids like solvent are spilled on the Glock work mat they bead up to be easily wiped away. Plus, it has enough padding to protect the table from scratches.
- KEEP YOUR DIRTY FINGERS OFF YOUR KEYBOARD: Stop searching YouTube for field stripping directions. On the Glock cleaning mat are the lessons (or reminders) that you need to field strip your Glock. These graphics are clear, helpful, and just plain sexy.
- ROLL IT UP FOR EASY STORAGE: You won't want to put this mat away. Sadly, you might have to. When you do, the Glock cleaning mat rolls up for easy storage. Then, it rolls out flat when you need it again. Those other thick gun mats have nothing on this.
Step 3. Push the Lock Pin Out
Brace the lower part of the gun onto a bench block or a roll of duct tape.
We will drive the pin from the left side of the firearm out to the right side. We also start by pushing the locking block pinout.
- Full design covering the whole hat with various shades of Kryptek Camo
- Adjustable velcro strap located on the back for customized comfort
- GLOCK Perfection velcro patch on the front with brown stitched letters
- 100 Percent Cotton
Step 4. Push the Trigger Pin Assembly and the Trigger Pin Out
Push the trigger assembly pinout. Next, push the trigger pinout. You may want to take your slide stop and wiggle it to make sure it comes out properly.
Wiggling the slide stop allows the spring to not put pressure on the pin.
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
- Glock disassembly tool
- Black finish
- The tool measures approximately 3 5/8'' from end to end
Step 5. Remove Slide Stop and Locking Block
You can now remove the slide stop. Then take your amour’s tool and lift up you locking block. It will just pop right out.
Step 6. Remove the Trigger Assembly
Now we’re going to remove the trigger assembly. Pull the ejector gently then the whole trigger assembly will come right out.
Step 7. Disassemble Trigger Mechanism
To disassemble the trigger mechanism, pull your trigger bar out and bring the crucible up. Now you’ll see the trigger spring.
It needs to be in “S” shape when you re-install it and when you take it out. Remove the spring from the trigger bar then take out the spring.
- Measures 12" Diameter
- Brushed Aluminum Sign
- Predrilled Hole for Mounting
Step 8. Remove the Connector
Now it is time to remove the connector. Current model Glocks have a small hole to push the connector out.
For older model Glocks, you can use a flathead screwdriver to take the connector out.
Step 9. Remove Slide Lever Lock
Now we’re going to remove the slide lever lock. There is a spring retaining your lock and you just need to push it down and go to the side, wiggle it, and it will fall right out.
Step 10. Pull the Spring Out
Take a flathead screwdriver and lift the spring a bit. With the use of your needle nose pliers, pull the spring right out.
Step 11. Remove the Magazine Catch
This time, we’ll remove the magazine catch and we have to do it through the magazine well. You’ll notice a rod–which is the spring for the magazine catch.
Bring the rod over to the slot on the side and just pop your spring out. Then you just push the mag catch button through.
To remove the spring, use your needle nose pliers and just pull it out.
- GLOCK magazine pouch
- Holds up to 10 GLOCK magazines
- GLOCK Logo on Flap
- Nylon Matte Black
- Stay organized with this great magazine ouch while showing off the brand you love
The Disassembled Glock
Now we have the gun completely disassembled. It is important to leave the trigger and ejector installed or as it is.
WEAPONSMART has the Glock 19 gen 4 with a cerakote Bazooka green frame and FDE slide. Now that is one nice looking pistol. pic.twitter.com/WUqdPN1rnQ
— Weaponsmart (@Weaponsmart1) July 8, 2017
Watch this hickok45 Glock cleaning video for step-by-step Glock slide disassembly instructions:
Cleaning and maintenance is an essential part of gun ownership. We have to ensure our pistols are in top working condition every time we use it.
Keeping your gun clean can increase its durability and avoid any reliability issues. Thus, knowing how to disassemble a pistol can help you check, clean, and maintain it so it can achieve full functionality.
More importantly, Glock disassembly can also help you understand how your pistol works.
Do you know other ways on how to disassemble a Glock? We would like to know about it. Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- Glock Pistols: Why Are They Still So Popular?
- Glock 19 Gen4 9x19mm | Gun Carrier Handgun Review
- Interstate Driving While Carrying A Firearm: What You Need to Know
For awesome survival gear, you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
**Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer**
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on October 5, 2017, and has been updated for quality and relevancy