Kel Tec is a well-known firearms manufacturer that has been producing innovative and high-quality guns for over two decades. One of their most popular products is the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG), a compact and versatile shotgun that has gained a loyal following among gun enthusiasts.
In this article, we will look closer at the KSG and reveal 10 things you didn't know about this impressive shotgun.
Variants of Kel Tec Shotguns
- The original KSG model has an 18.5-inch barrel and an overall length of 26.1 inches.
- The KSG-25 model has a longer 30.5-inch barrel and an overall length of 38 inches, making it one of the largest shotgun models on the market.
- The KS7 model is a lighter and more compact version of the KSG, with a shorter 16.25-inch barrel and an overall length of 26.1 inches.
- The KSG Tactical model has a shorter 13.7-inch barrel, making it an NFA-regulated firearm requiring additional paperwork and taxes.
- The KSG-NR model is a non-restricted variant of the KSG Tactical model legally owned in Canada.
Advantages of Kel Tec Shotgun
- The bullpup design of the Kel Tec Shotgun makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces and reduces the firearm's overall weight.
- The dual-tube magazine allows quick and easy reloading without needing a detachable magazine.
- The downward ejection system eliminates the need for a side ejection port, making it easier to shoot from either shoulder.
- The manual selector switch allows the shooter to switch between different types of ammunition on the fly.
- The Picatinny rail on top of the receiver allows easy customization and accessory mounting.
Disadvantages of Kel Tec Shotgun
- The downward ejection system can cause shells to eject onto the shooter's arm or hand, which can be uncomfortable or even dangerous.
- The bullpup design can take some time for shooters who are used to traditional shotgun designs.
- The dual-tube magazine can make the shotgun more difficult to load and unload than a traditional shotgun with a single-tube magazine.
- The shotgun's compact size and short barrel can make it louder and more difficult to control than larger shotguns.
- The Kel Tec Shotgun can be more expensive than other shotgun models on the market.
Things You Didn’t Know About Kel Tec Shotgun
KSG as Bullpup Shotgun
The Kel Tec Shotgun is a bullpup shotgun, which means that it has a shorter overall length than traditional shotguns. This is achieved by moving the action of the shotgun behind the trigger group, which allows for a shorter barrel while maintaining a full-length stock. The KSG has a total length of just 26.1 inches, making it extremely compact and easy to handle.
Hold 12 Rounds
Despite its compact size, the KSG is capable of holding up to 12 rounds of 12-gauge shotgun shells. This is achieved through the use of dual magazine tubes, each of which can hold six rounds. The shooter can switch between the two tubes using a selector switch behind the trigger guard, allowing for quick and easy reloading without needing a magazine extension.
Unique Ejection System
The Kel Tec Shotgun features a unique ejection system that allows spent shells to be ejected downward, away from the shooter's face. This is achieved by using a downward ejection port located on the bottom of the gun, which helps reduce the risk of hot shells hitting the shooter during rapid-fire shooting.
One of the most distinctive features of the KSG is its built-in flashlight, which is located at the front of the shotgun. This allows the shooter to illuminate their target in low-light situations without the need for an external flashlight. The flashlight is powered by a CR123A battery and can be easily removed for replacement.
Shoot Different Types of Ammo
The KSG is capable of shooting a wide variety of shotgun shells, including 2 3/4-inch and 3-inch shells, as well as birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. This versatility makes it a great choice for home defense, hunting, and tactical applications.
Manual Override Switch
In the event of a misfeed or other malfunction, the KSG has a manual override switch that allows the shooter to manually cycle the shotgun's action. This can help to quickly clear a jammed shell or other issue without the need for disassembly.
Kel Tec is known for using high-quality materials in their firearms; the KSG is no exception. The shotgun's receiver is made from hardened steel, while the barrel is made from 4140 steel with a black oxide finish. The stock is made from durable polymer and features a soft rubber butt pad for recoil absorption.
Made in the USA
All Kel Tec firearms, including the KSG, are proudly made in the USA. This allows for greater quality control and ensures that the gun meets the high standards of American shooters.
Available in Different Colors
The Kel Tec Shotgun is available in a variety of colors, including black, tan, and green. This allows shooters to customize their gun to their personal preferences and needs.
Law Enforcement and Military Personnel
The KSG has gained a reputation as a reliable and effective shotgun for law enforcement and military personnel. Its compact size, high capacity, and versatility make it a great choice for a variety of tactical applications.
The Kel Tec Shotgun is a unique and innovative firearm that has gained a loyal following among gun enthusiasts. Its compact size, high capacity, and versatile design make it a great choice for home defense, hunting, and tactical applications.
However, it also has some drawbacks, such as the potential for uncomfortable ejection and a steeper learning curve for shooters unfamiliar with bullpup designs. Overall, the Kel Tec Shotgun is popular among gun enthusiasts who value its innovative design and practical features.
Got more ideas about shotguns? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
- Top 9 Best Glocks for Women
- Pink Handgun | Top 9 Pink Handguns for You
- Finding Your Norinco SKS Production Date
- 15 Best 9mm Handgun Concealed Carry Bags with Laser
- Taurus Judge Ammo Types: Top 9 Best Types of Ammo Used in Taurus Judge
Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here.