If you can't get your hands on a high-quality gas mask, this DIY riot mask is a great backup plan. Check out the tutorial below to learn how to make a mask that filters the air in an emergency situation.
Nothing beats a genuine gas mask, but this DIY riot mask is the next best thing. Though it doesn't offer the full protection of a gas mask, it does make breathing a lot easier. Using a large empty water bottle, a vinegar-soaked cotton ball, and a dryer sheet, you can make a quick riot mask that can help you breathe in an emergency situation. Check out the steps below to see how it's done, and be sure to leave your own riot mask tips in the comments!
How to Make a DIY Riot Mask?
Step 1: Trace a large cut-out into your water bottle.
The opening should be about the same size as your face.
- 【Durable & Comfortable to Wear】 -- This military swat helmet composed of high density fiber material. Durable, Light-Weight, Comfortable and...
- 【Protect Your Head】 -- The airsoft M88 helmet is durable and hard to break which can bear over 300FPS or 2 joules muzzle velocity.
- 【Protect Your Face】 -- This tactical helmet comes with a detachable clear visor as a face shield for protection. You can easily slide down the...
Step 2: Use scissors to cut the opening.
Step 3: Tape the edges of the opening.
- Full Shield Design Provides Built-In Chin Protection And Extended Top-Of-Head Coverage; Protects Against Falling Or Flying Objects, Impacts, Chemical...
- Clear Polycarbonate Visor With Excellent Optics Provide Increased Visibility; Comfortable Rear Cell Foam And Lightweight, Balanced, Ergonomic Design...
- Easy-To-Set, Ratcheting Headgear Assures Comfortable, Secure Fit; Highly Adjustable Headgear Tilts Visor Nearer Or Farther From Face For Preference...
Step 4: Apply a second layer of tape.
Step 5: Use a hammer and nails to poke three holes in the cap.
Step 6: Dip a cotton ball into a cup of vinegar.
- Lightweight mask is vented & has an adjustable nylon strap.
- Sturdy plastic construction for maximum Protection.
- Light weight construction for comfort and mobility.
Step 7: Insert a dryer sheet and close the cap.
- Protects emergency personnel from most chemicals encountered during an incident
- Can be used for protection during a riot, chemical spill or other possible emergency
- Includes 54401 face piece, one 40RCP100 riot control cartridge and 76BAG carry bag
Step 8: Put the mask over your face.
See the complete tutorial in the video below:
Do you have a DIY riot mask of your own? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and tell us about your survival must-haves!
- Top 5 Survival Guns
- The AR-10: Why You Should Consider Owning One
- 300 Blackout vs .308 Cartridges: Which Should You Go For?
Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published on September 9, 2020, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.