If you can’t get your hands on a high-quality gas mask, this DIY riot mask is a great backup plan. Check out the tutorial below to learn how to make a mask that filters the air in an emergency situation.
How to Make Your Own Riot Mask
Nothing beats a genuine gas mask, but this DIY riot mask is the next best thing. Though it doesn’t offer the full protection of a gas mask, it does make breathing a lot easier. Using a large empty water bottle, a vinegar-soaked cotton ball, and a dryer sheet, you can make a quick riot mask that can help you breathe in an emergency situation. Check out the steps below to see how it’s done, and be sure to leave your own riot mask tips in the comments!
How to Make a DIY Riot Mask:
Step 1: Trace a large cut-out into your water bottle.
The opening should be about the same size as your face.
- 【Durable & Comfortable to Wear】 -- This military swat helmet composed of high density fiber material. Durable, Light-Weight, Comfortable and Easy-carrying. (Fits for head circumference about 22-25 inch.)
- 【Protect Your Head】 -- The airsoft M88 helmet is durable and hard to break which can bear over 300FPS or 2 joules muzzle velocity.
- 【Protect Your Face】 -- This tactical helmet comes with a detachable clear visor as a face shield for protection. You can easily slide down the protective visor as you need. It can not only protect your head but also protect your full face well.
- 【Make You Special】 -- Simple and fashionable design, makes it possible for you to personalize this helmet by DIY some decorative pattern on it or putting on various cool helmet covers on it as you like. And you can also wear glasses or airsoft goggles or cool masks without any discomforts.
- 【Wide Range of Application】 -- This protective helmet is great for paintball and airsoft if you want to go for a military-like theme. And it is also great for cycling. The ideal choice for construction workers, hunting & shooting enthusiasts, and the folks who serve the army. You can bought it for yourselves and you can also send it to the people you loved as a gift.
Step 2: Use scissors to cut the opening.
Step 3: Tape the edges of the opening.
- Full Shield design provides built-in chin protection and extended top-of-head coverage; protects against falling or flying objects, impacts, chemical splashes and airborne debris; black matte color
- Clear polycarbonate Visor with excellent Optics provide increased visibility; comfortable rear cell foam and lightweight, balanced, ergonomic design for extended use
- Easy-to-set, ratcheting headgear assures comfortable, secure fit; highly adjustable headgear tilts visor nearer or farther from face for preference and application; 2, 784 Total possible positions
- Easily replaceable visor available in the following options: Clear uncoated, clear anti-fog/anti-scratch, shade 3. 0 and shade 5. 0; breathable, removable, washable headband
- Must be worn with safety eyewear or goggles; fits comfortably with most goggles and respirators; 100% dielectric (No metal parts); meets ANSI Z87+ and CSA Z94. 3 standards
Step 4: Apply a second layer of tape.
Step 5: Use a hammer and nails to poke three holes in the cap.
Step 6: Dip a cotton ball into a cup of vinegar.
- Lightweight mask is vented & has an adjustable nylon strap.
- Sturdy plastic construction for maximum Protection.
- Light weight construction for comfort and mobility.
- Eyes, nose, mouth, face, and ear protection. Washable.
- Covers entire face and eyes from airsoft bbs
Step 7: Insert a dryer sheet and close the cap.
- Protects emergency personnel from most chemicals encountered during an incident
- Can be used for protection during a riot, chemical spill or other possible emergency
- Includes 54401 face piece, one 40RCP100 riot control cartridge and 76BAG carry bag
- Available in medium/large size
Step 8: Put the mask over your face.
See the complete tutorial in the video below: