For some of us, it isn’t until we are faced with an unfortunate event (a natural disaster for example) that we realize that we have to suddenly learn, sometimes in the matter of seconds, how we are going to survive.
In recent years, with survival TV shows and books being so popular, more and more people are being taught the basics of survival. Perhaps for a camping trip, a hike in the woods, learning how to live off grid, or how to survive a natural disaster. In my opinion, having survival knowledge BEFORE it becomes necessary is the key. Always be prepared for ANY survival situation as if it could happen at any moment, especially with natural disasters. In a matter of minutes (sometimes seconds) your life can be turned upside down leaving you wondering what to do next.
- Official Survival Kit of AMC’s The Walking Dead TV show
- (1) Premium Military Style Messenger Bag with Official AMC The Walking Dead Survivor Kit logo(1) Datrex 2400 Calorie Emergency Food Ration. (6) Datrex 4.22 oz packs of Emergency Water. Stays fresh for up to 5 years and U.S. Coast Guard Certified
- (1) Lifeline 30 Piece First Aid Kit (1) 12-hour glowstick, (1) Mylar Space Blanket, (1) Emergency Poncho
- (1) 5-1 Survival Whistle with flint, compass, emergency mirror, whistle and water resistant case (1) LifeGear LED Flashlight that lasts up to 400 hours
- Official AMC The Walking Dead Merchandise from First My Family
The first step is planning ahead before any of these events can take place. Ask yourself, “What would I or my family do in the case of a fire, a flood, a tornado, a hurricane, or an earthquake? What would each of us grab on the way out to safety? What’s the best exit route in our home?” Plan a family meeting every month to discuss details of what your family will do in case of an emergency.
For myself and my family, there are two things each of us would grab on our way out to safety: Our individual well stocked bug out bags and something I like to call a “memory box” for each person in the family to grab on the way out the door in the matter of seconds.
- 35% OFF! NEW YEAR SPECIAL PRICING! Regularly $289.99 for 3-DAY EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS FOR 4 PEOPLE - This premium emergency survival bag will give you all the supplies you need to thrive during times of need.
- FIRST RATE QUALITY SUPPLIES – THRIV3 has partnered with many superior brands to provide you with necessary tools, peace of mind, and the confidence you need to get through any emergency or natural disaster. Brands included in the THRIV3 3-day survival pack are: Mountain House Freeze Dried Food, Sawyer Water Filter, InstaFire, First-Aid Only, and Coghlan’s.
- WATER, FOOD, AND FIRE - Each THRIV3 emergency survival pack includes the essential supplies you will need to have in times of need. Each kit includes 24 servings of Mountain House Freeze Dried Food with a 25-year shelf-life, a Sawyer MINI Water Filtration System that filters up to 100,000 gallons of water removing 99.99999% of all bacteria and protozoa, and 2 packs of InstaFire giving you the ability to light 8 fires in 72-hours.
- TOOLS, GEAR, and FIRST-AID – The THRIV3 72-hour emergency survival kit is equipped with what you need to be prepared in any emergency. Each pack includes an 81-piece first-aid kit (bandages, ointment, gauze, tape, sanitary gloves, and pain relievers), 3 different light sources (Cyalume glowsticks, LED Flashlights, LED Lantern), essential survival tools (Morakniv, ferrocerium rod, HandyBath Wipes, whistles, paracord) and gear to keep you warm (emergency blankets, handwarmers, gloves, and ponchos)
- The THRIV3 3-Day Emergency Survival Pack includes: 1 large backpack, 1 Sawyer Water Filter, 81-piece First-Aid Kit, 4 Cyalume Glowsticks, 2 LED Flashlights, 1 LED Lantern, 1 Pot, 1 Stove, 24 Fuel Tablets, 4 Bowls, 4 Utensils, 24 Mountain House Food Servings, 1 Knife,1 Ferrocerium Rod, 2 InstaFire Packs, 4 Whistles, 8 HandyBath Wipes, 3 yds. of Paracord, 4 Emergency Blankets, 8 Handwarmers, 4 Ponchos, and 4 Pairs of Gloves
A memory box should be a small to medium plastic tote with a lid (preferably with a handle). It’s a container that will carry your most prized possessions: family photographs, your grandmother’s jewelry, family documents, or anything else you deem valuable and could never be replaced. Also, talk to your children about the importance of this container. Have them put their most treasured items in their own memory boxes. In my opinion, this is just as important as a bug out bag for these items are part of who you are.. Here is an example of what a memory box should look like:
Next, your bug out bag. What’s a bug out bag? It is a portable kit (usually inside of a backpack) that contains items that a person would require to survive for 72 hours when evacuating from a natural disaster. Here is an example:
Note: if you have small children, pack their bug out bags with the basics: clothing, blankets, snacks etc. This way they can carry their own bag. You can put any other necessary items for them (like medications for example) in your bug out bag.
- FIRST AID: When disaster strikes, minor injuries can quickly become major problems. Our disaster preparedness kit comes equipped with an 85-piece first-aid kit that contains extensive first aid items, including combine dressings, butterfly bandages, gauze pads, and other articles to protect you after an injury. All contained within a hard-shell case.
- WATER: In an emergency, clean drinking water is critical to your survival. First My Family emergency kits are equipped with a 72-hour supply of emergency water that is certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to stay fresh for 5-years.
- FOOD: Time is of the essence during an emergency, and food is often forgotten. Our disaster survival kit comes with one 2400-calorie food ration packaged in an easy grab-and-go bag for added convenience. Hypoallergenic and peanut free. Certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to stay fresh for 5-years.
- SHELTER: When displaced by an emergency, you need the right tools to keep yourself safe and sheltered. Our disaster preparedness kits include a poncho, emergency Mylar space blanket, 200-hour LED flashlight, 12-hour glow sticks, and a multi-function outdoor camping tool.
- WARMTH: Disasters can leave you exposed to the elements. Our emergency kit for natural disasters (earthquakes, fires, floods) contains a 24-hour body warmer to keep you warm, leather palmed work gloves to protect your hands and medical grade masks to keep dust and debris out of your lungs.
Natural disasters can come without much warning so always have a plan. Discuss the plan as a family. Always be prepared!!
Want more survival tips? Check out these related articles: