With 40% of American Families possessing firearms, the matter of protecting our children from gun accidents is a huge concern in America. It is possible for parents to keep their children safe when they choose to own weapons and keep them in the home. Children or teens cannot be responsible for their own safety; it is the responsibility of the parents or adults of the household. Check out this infographic of 5 steps to improve gun safety for kids below:
5 Steps To Improve Gun Safety for Kids
Gun safety for kids is beyond important. Centers for disease control prevention (CDC) indicate that…
- 311 children age 14 and under were killed in unintentional shootings between 2007 and 2011 – an average of 62 per year.
- An estimated 660 children were hospitalized each year with non-fatal, unintentional firearm injuries.
- 1.7M children live in homes with guns that are both loaded and unlocked.
1. If a gun is in the home, make sure it is properly locked up and stored in an approved safe with the ammunition locked and stored in a different area.
- 70% of children under age 10 know where their parents stored their guns.
- 36% of the children reported handling the weapons.
2. Assume a child will find any gun that is not physically secured regardless of how well you think it is hidden.
The vast majority of accidental firearm deaths among children are related to child access to firearms – either self-inflicted or at the hands of another child. Keep in mind that children are naturally curious and often listen to the encouragement of their friends instead of the good sense of their parents. Keep all guns securely away from children and in a storage that will not allow the access under any conditions. Even though you have had the necessary conversations with your children and you feel they understand you, do not become complacent in this area. Complacency can kill.
3. Teach kids about firearms in a controlled setting. Children are curious and will investigate things they don’t fully understand.
- One-third of American homes have a firearm.
- 43% of those have at least one firearm unsecured and unlocked.
4. When children go to another location, ask about gun presence and whether or not the firearm is secured.
- Child Care Providers
More than two-thirds of gun-related tragedies could be avoided if guns were properly stored and children couldn’t access them.
5. Let’s make 2017 the best year on the record. Spread the word to others – together we can beat this.
Show off your pride for the 2nd Amendment with our free shirt, grab it here.
If you’re looking for some products to assist in gun safety for your kids, check out these options:
- Keep yours and your child’s eyes safe with Pyramex Avante Safety Eyewear
- Knowing your stuff when it comes to kid’s gun safety is a much, try this Guns the Right Way: Introducing Kids to Firearm Safety and Shooting book!
- When not in use, always keep your guns safely locked up in this AmazonBasics Security Safe
CLAIM YOUR FREE HIP HOLSTER: CLICK HERE It's more important than ever to carry a handgun with a premium hip holster in today's America with violent rioters, the mentally ill, and defunded police departments.