With this years emergence of the Brood II cicadas I figured it would be fun to offer up a few different ways to prepare them.
Now while eating cicadass and other bugs is not something that I’m a huge fan of, as I would much rather have a nice steak, there is no denying the benefits of the readily available, protein rich source of food that these insects provide.
And when TSHTF I will not be opposed to getting protein, no matter what crunch, chirping, form it comes in…
Some of the most interesting and “appetizing” recipes I have found are below.
The Main Course:
El Chirper Tacos
2 tablespoons butter or peanut oil
1/2 pound newly-emerged cicadas
3 serrano chilies, raw, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground pepper or to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
3 tsp taco seasoning mix
1 handful cilantro, chopped
Taco shells, to serve
Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and fry the cicadas for 10
minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Remove from pan and roughly chop into 1/4 inch cubes. Place back in
3. Add the chopped onions, chilies,
and tomato, and season with salt,
and fry for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
4. Sprinkle with ground pepper, cumin, and oregano, to taste.
5. Serve in taco shells and garnish w
ith cilantro, sour cream, lettuce, and
cheddar cheese .
2 main course servings
And for desert:
2-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 12-ounce pkg. chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup dry-roasted chopped cicadas
1. Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
2. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In large bowl, combine butter, s
ugar, brown sugar and vanilla; beat
until creamy. Beat in eggs.
4. Gradually add flour mixture and in
sects, mix well. Stir in chocolate
5. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto
ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Approximately 3 dozen cookies
Did I peak your interest?
Or are you a bit grossed out?
If you want to check out some more recipes for these noisy critters, check out the free cookbook that I found these two in.
Have you ever cook with any insects?
Let me know what you think about this in the comments below!
Read more with these related articles from our site: