Are you planning to buy a gun for protection, hunting, or maybe to start a collection? Here is a list of what could be your must-have or essential guns.
RELATED: The Top 5 9mm Carbines To Own
5 Affordable Must-Have Guns Every Gun Enthusiast Should Own
If you are new to guns, the 9mm pistol is a must-have. It has a hard-hitting round, better than a .380 ACP or a .22 caliber. 9mm ammo is also very easy to find since it is available everywhere. It also comes cheap, costing around 6 dollars per box.
Here are some reasons why the 9mm is often recommended as an affordable firearm:
- Ammunition Cost: One of the main factors that contribute to the affordability of the 9mm is the relatively low cost of ammunition. Compared to other calibers, such as .45 ACP or .40 S&W, 9mm ammunition tends to be more widely available and cheaper to purchase in bulk.
- Availability: The 9mm is widely used and adopted by military, law enforcement agencies, and civilians around the world. Due to its popularity, there is a wide range of 9mm firearms available on the market, offering various options at different price points.
- Firearm Selection: The 9mm caliber is chambered in a wide variety of firearms, including semi-automatic pistols, submachine guns, and carbines. This versatility allows gun enthusiasts to choose from a vast selection of firearms, ranging from compact concealed carry pistols to full-sized duty handguns or even pistol-caliber carbines.
- Magazine Capacity: The 9mm caliber typically offers higher magazine capacities compared to larger calibers, such as .45 ACP or .40 S&W. This means that 9mm firearms can often hold more rounds in a single magazine, providing a greater number of shots before the need for reloading.
- Recoil Management: The 9mm caliber generally produces less recoil compared to larger calibers, which can make it more manageable and easier to shoot accurately. This attribute makes the 9mm an excellent choice for individuals who are new to shooting or those who prefer a firearm with less recoil.
The AR-15 style rifle is the lightweight, semi-automatic version of the standard military assault rifle. The military has it for a long time, so supply for parts is never a problem.
It fires a fast round and commits little recoil, making it easier to use. You can also use it for hunting, where you can kill the medium-sized game with it. It’s great for self-defense and protection as well.
Here are some reasons why the AR-15 style rifle is considered a popular choice:
- Versatility: The AR-15 platform is highly versatile, allowing for customization and modification to suit individual preferences and shooting needs. It can be configured for various purposes, such as target shooting, competitive shooting, home defense, and even hunting (depending on local laws and regulations).
- Wide Range of Accessories: The AR-15 has a vast market of accessories, including stocks, grips, handguards, sights, optics, and more. This allows gun enthusiasts to personalize their rifles according to their preferences and shooting style.
- Ammunition Availability: The AR-15 style rifle typically chambered in .223 Remington or 5.56x45mm NATO is widely available and affordable. The ammunition is produced by numerous manufacturers, making it easily accessible for training, practice, and recreational shooting.
- Standardization: The AR-15 platform benefits from a high degree of standardization, meaning that parts and accessories from different manufacturers are generally interchangeable. This interchangeability makes it easier to find replacement parts or upgrade components.
- User-Friendly Design: The AR-15 features a user-friendly design with intuitive controls, making it relatively easy to learn and operate, even for beginners. The controls, such as the magazine release, bolt catch, and safety selector, are typically ambidextrous or can be easily configured for left-handed shooters.
- Proven Reliability: The AR-15 has a reputation for reliability when properly maintained and fed with quality ammunition. With regular cleaning and maintenance, an AR-15 can provide years of dependable service.
12-Gauge Shotgun (Mossberg 500)
The 12-gauge and 20-gauge are common types of shotguns, but it remains a debate about which is better between the two.
The 12-gauge shotgun is perfect for any self-defense situation. It is also used for hunting small to medium-sized games.
Here are some reasons why the Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun is often recommended:
- Versatility: The Mossberg 500 is known for its versatility. It offers interchangeable barrels, allowing users to switch between different lengths and choke configurations. This versatility makes it suitable for a wide range of applications, including bird hunting, deer hunting, clay target shooting, and home defense.
- Wide Availability: The Mossberg 500, along with its accessories and spare parts, is widely available. It has been in production for several decades and has gained a reputation for reliability and durability. As a result, it is often found in many firearm stores and online marketplaces.
- Ammunition Variety: The 12-gauge shotgun offers a wide variety of ammunition options, including birdshot, buckshot, slugs, and specialty rounds. This versatility allows the Mossberg 500 to be used for different shooting purposes, from hunting small game to defending against larger threats.
- Stopping Power: The 12-gauge shotgun is known for its impressive stopping power. The larger diameter of the shotgun shell and the availability of different types of ammunition make it capable of delivering a significant impact on the target, making it a popular choice for home defense applications.
- Aftermarket Accessories: The Mossberg 500 has a thriving aftermarket community, offering a wide range of accessories and modifications. These include different stocks, forends, sights, barrels, and other accessories that can enhance the shotgun's performance or tailor it to specific needs and preferences.
High Powered Rifle (Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor)
This is a reliable and accurate precision rifle perfect for long-range shooting. It can shoot over a thousand yards. It can also take a medium to a large-sized game, depending on what round you use.
Here are some reasons why the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor is often recommended:
- Long-Range Performance: The 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge, combined with the Ruger rifle's design, offers excellent long-range performance. The cartridge is known for its high ballistic coefficient, which results in flat trajectories and retained energy at extended distances. This makes it well-suited for precision shooting and engaging targets at long ranges.
- Accuracy: The Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor rifle is designed for accuracy. It often features a heavy, free-floating barrel, a precise trigger, and a solid action, all contributing to improved accuracy and consistency. This level of precision makes it a popular choice for competitive shooting disciplines like precision rifle matches.
- Ballistic Efficiency: The 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge has gained a reputation for its outstanding ballistic efficiency. It offers a good balance between bullet weight, velocity, and reduced recoil. The cartridge's design allows for high muzzle velocities and minimal wind drift, contributing to improved accuracy and performance at long distances.
- Hunting Capability: The Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge, is an effective choice for hunting various game species. The combination of high muzzle velocity, excellent long-range performance, and manageable recoil makes it suitable for medium-sized game, such as deer and antelope.
- Availability of Ammunition: The popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge has led to widespread availability of ammunition from various manufacturers. This availability makes it easier for gun enthusiasts to find ammunition for practice, training, and hunting purposes.
- Ruger Reliability: Ruger firearms are known for their reliability and durability, and the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor rifle is no exception. Ruger's reputation for solid construction and dependable operation adds to the appeal of this firearm.
.22 Long Rifle (Remington's Nylon Series)
The .22 Long Rifle originated in the United States. You can use this rifle for hunting, where you can take down a small-sized game. It is effective in short ranges as well. .22LR rifles are also perfect for training and self-defense since they have little recoil.
Here are some reasons why the .22 LR in Remington's Nylon Series is often recommended:
- Affordability: The .22 LR ammunition is widely available and relatively inexpensive compared to other calibers, making it an affordable option for both training and recreational shooting. This affordability allows gun enthusiasts to engage in more frequent shooting sessions without breaking the bank.
- Versatility: The .22 LR caliber is highly versatile and can be used for various shooting activities, such as target practice, plinking, small game hunting, and pest control. The Remington Nylon Series of rifles offers different models suitable for different purposes, including bolt-action rifles, semi-automatic rifles, and even lever-action rifles.
- Lightweight and Durable Design: Remington's Nylon Series rifles are known for their lightweight and durable construction. The rifles feature synthetic stocks made from nylon or similar materials, which offer durability, resistance to weather conditions, and reduced weight. This makes them easy to handle, carry, and shoot for extended periods.
- Reduced Recoil: The .22 LR caliber generates minimal recoil, making it ideal for shooters of all skill levels, including beginners, youth, and those who prefer firearms with reduced recoil. This attribute allows for improved accuracy, quick follow-up shots, and less shooter fatigue during extended shooting sessions.
- Ammunition Availability: The .22 LR caliber is one of the most widely available calibers globally, with a broad selection of ammunition choices. This availability ensures gun enthusiasts have access to a variety of loads suitable for their specific shooting needs, whether it's standard velocity for target shooting or high-velocity rounds for small game hunting.
Watch this video of Elliott Delp on his top 5 guns that everyone should own:
Which gun do you think would best suit you for self-defense? How about hunting? Were you able to try firing any of these before? Let us know in the comments.
- 5 Gun Safety Rules For New Gun Owners
- Survival Rules of Three – How Long Could You Last?
- Knife Laws In The United States | What Blades Are Legal In Your State?
- Top 5 9mm Carbines Under $500
- Best 338 Lapua Sniper Rifle | Top 7 Best 338 Lapua Sniper Rifles
- Real Guns for Kids | Top 8 Good First Guns
- 5 Best Calibers for Self-Defense | Self-Defense Firearms
Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here.